Engine Sound System

Urinbits

Reaction score
First post. Audi owner for the very first time. Got myself a brand new 8V Daytona Grey S-Line Black Edition Saloon 1.6TDi. Doing about 1000kms a week so needed something nice and economical. Picking up in 3 days.

Now, to my post. I'm based in Ireland and was browsing the Audi Shop website seeing what new bits and pieces I might be able to get for my car. Noticed that there was an option for an Engine Sound System coming in at 1,096 euro. That does not include fitting which would be extra. I looked at the official Irish Audi Shop video of the difference and I like it quite a lot so am definitely interested. Has anyone here had this done and how much including fitting did you pay?

Anyone had this done or is it a brand new feature within the Audi Shop?

Never seen nor heard of this before. With all due respect buddy.....A grand....on fake engine noise.....for a 1.6 tdi!!??

Dude, that sounds preposterous to me.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Reactions: As3newbiE, Simon L and Wibbly
Not installed / tested it yet as I need to make up the wiring looms, but this is what you get:

Control Module
FullSizeRender 2

Speaker
IMG 4130

Everything is mounted in the engine bay with the speaker located just under the windscreen.

Thanks Alix. Let me know how that goes. I didn't realise it was just a speaker either. They must be making a mint off it selling it at 1k so before labour. Any ideas on the wattage of the speaker Alix?

Reactions: DJAlix
Most of the previous posts on here about this subject have been by people wanting to remove the speaker!

Reactions: Wibbly and DJAlix
Most of the previous posts on here about this subject have been by people wanting to remove the speaker!
This is very true, but these were by people with S3's who wanted to here the natural noise of the power unit.

Thanks Alix. Let me know how that goes. I didn't realise it was just a speaker either. They must be making a mint off it selling it at 1k so before labour. Any ideas on the wattage of the speaker Alix?
Not sure on the wattage to be honest, am not expecting anything great.

I thought it was more than a "speaker", it technically reverberates the windscreen does it not? Wattage is likely to be less important than getting the positioning spot on.

Reactions: DJAlix
I thought it was more than a "speaker", it technically reverberates the windscreen does it not? Wattage is likely to be less important than getting the positioning spot on.
This is the fitting location
IMAG0187

*Not my picture

Funny you should say that, I turned mine down to 0% to see what noises were being made externally and what noises were internal.

Maybe I could take it out and sell it on eBay for £700, a bargain..

How do you turn it down? Physical on the device or VCDS?

And we've paid HOW much overhead on the price of the car for Audi's research and implementation of sound insulation so you CAN'T hear engine noise in the cabin... ?

Cheaper (and 100% realistic unadulterated sound) to identify and remove some sound proofing materials? ;-)

And if you're into simulated sounds (not sure if this is what the Audi System does), why not spend just a little on an app for your phone, an ODBII adapter, and turn up the volume of the ICE :)

V8 Mustang sounds cool especially at low revs!

Last edited:
This is very true, but these were by people with S3's who wanted to here the natural noise of the power unit.

That included me.....to the OP if it was easy to remove mine you could have it for £500 as its only done just under 14,000 miles :laughing:

Thanks for the replies guys. Just got the car yesterday and love it. Just a small upgrade from my previous Seat Cordoba!!!!!! Not sure now if I'll ever get this but I do like the noise, albeit knowing that it's just a speaker will deter me.