Facelift Engine oil temperature

Kery

Reaction score
hello

I bought new A3 tfsi 2.0 around 2 month ago. The mileage is less than 5000 km.

After VAG COM, i can see the temperature of engine oil. I feel the temperature rising is abnormal that i cant understand.

It normally records around 100~103celcius in heavy traffic. In highway, it stays about 97 celcius when i drive it with almost constant velocity of 95 km/h.
But after accelate the car to 160 km/h for around 2mins, the temperature reachs 93 celcius.

Why hard accelation drop the engine oil temperature? Ive searched the forum, but couldnt get the answer.

I saw the thread that ecu tuning also decrease the engine oil temperature. How can i understand this phenomena?

Whats the outside temperature? If it's below 5-10C it's very normal that you'll see a drop in temperature when driving faster because of the air flowing through the radiator faster as well - it's quite straight forward. Everything above 90C and below 115-120C is nothing to worry about during normal driving conditions.

However, it's always a good idea to check your oil level on a regular basis.

O
Whats the outside temperature? If it's below 5-10C it's very normal that you'll see a drop in temperature when driving faster because of the air flowing through the radiator faster as well - it's quite straight forward. Everything above 90C and below 115-120C is nothing to worry about during normal driving conditions.

However, it's always a good idea to check your oil level on a regular basis.

Oh i see. Ive checked the oil level snd it was fine. I didnt know the air flow through the radiator gives impacts on the temperature. The out side temp. was bit cold.
Thank you very much!

My explanation was very simplified but the faster flow the more cooling, of course until you'll hit a point where the extra load of the engine will heat the oil more than it gets cooled. And of course it's the radiator of the oil cooler I was talking about, it's placed just next to the larger radioter for the coolant and the intercooler.

One of the improvements in the EA888 Gen 3 engine is the introduction of an electronically controlled thermostat. This allows the ECU to regulate engine temperature precisely via control of coolant flow. Under low loads, the engine is actually running hotter up to a max coolant temperature of 105 deg C. Under high loads (maximum power and torque request), the engine runs cooler with a minimum coolant temperature of 85 deg C.

Now, how does coolant temperature affect oil temperature? Right under the oil filter housing and next to the thermostat, there is an oil cooler which cools the engine oil using engine coolant via heat exchange. When you drive sedately, you will see higher oil temperatures as the engineers want to minimise friction as much as possible for improved efficiency. When you drive hard, the engine needs maximum cooling and the coolant temperature decreases to accommodate this, you will thus see lower oil temperature.

There is a technical white paper published about the Audi EA888 Gen 3 engine, it can be downloaded from the internet if you look hard enough. Interesting read with tons of useful information.

Reactions: TonkS3, Lehn, Jcbmally and 2 others
I think another thing with modern engines is that they run relatively lean on low load and cruising speeds to achieve better economy and emissions.
When running lean combustion is a lot hotter than running rich so will explain the higher oil temps.
When under heavy load, driving like you stole it, the car will run rich as you don’t want it running lean under high boost. The extra fuel while running rich can help cool the pistons as well as give you a bigger oomph.

Reactions: Fatbloke
...as well as give you a bigger oomph.
I'll have to give that a try.

The only other way I'd thought of to get a bigger oomph was likely to involve a parcel wrapped in plain brown paper, and the risk of Mrs Phutters beating me to the front door when the delivery man arrived.

Reactions: Damo S and AlS3BE
One of the improvements in the EA888 Gen 3 engine is the introduction of an electronically controlled thermostat. This allows the ECU to regulate engine temperature precisely via control of coolant flow. Under low loads, the engine is actually running hotter up to a max coolant temperature of 105 deg C. Under high loads (maximum power and torque request), the engine runs cooler with a minimum coolant temperature of 85 deg C.

Now, how does coolant temperature affect oil temperature? Right under the oil filter housing and next to the thermostat, there is an oil cooler which cools the engine oil using engine coolant via heat exchange. When you drive sedately, you will see higher oil temperatures as the engineers want to minimise friction as much as possible for improved efficiency. When you drive hard, the engine needs maximum cooling and the coolant temperature decreases to accommodate this, you will thus see lower oil temperature.

There is a technical white paper published about the Audi EA888 Gen 3 engine, it can be downloaded from the internet if you look hard enough. Interesting read with tons of useful information.

After i saw your reply, ive checked the engine code. It states CZR. I manage to find out the code via VIN decode site. The engine code is CZRA.
It seems its not belong to ea888 series as i cant find out this code. The car is made from Hungary.
Imnot sure but it looks this engine had not been sold in US market.( i dont live in US) but somewhere around europe.
Do you have any idea what this engine is?
The out frame of the car is exactly same as the facelift A3 including inner and light snd so on..

My 1.8 TFSI is designated CJSB, which is Audi's internal designation for that particular engine, transverse mount for quattro application. The engine family is still EA888, which has both 1.8 and 2.0 liter applications. I suspect CZRA is similar, and belongs to the EA888 family.

Here's a nice link explaining the engine iterations and progress:

https://www.alexsautohaus.com/blog/vwaudi-ea888-gen-3-mqbmlb-engines-explained/

My 1.8 TFSI is designated CJSB, which is Audi's internal designation for that particular engine, transverse mount for quattro application. The engine family is still EA888, which has both 1.8 and 2.0 liter applications. I suspect CZRA is similar, and belongs to the EA888 family.

Here's a nice link explaining the engine iterations and progress:

https://www.alexsautohaus.com/blog/vwaudi-ea888-gen-3-mqbmlb-engines-explained/

How can I know my engine is a EA888 Gen 3 or Gen 3B?

Probably not too easy to tell just by looking at the externals of the engine, but two indications it would be a B-cycle engine are:

1) Audi Valvelift system applied on the intake valves as well as the exhaust valves

2) Increase in compression ratio from 9.6:1 to 11.7:1

Last edited: