Engine oil question…..

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
My newly-delivered A3 ( Audi Approved Used Car) has just been serviced ( Main Dealer) and they’ve used Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 whereas I was expecting 5W-30.
I’ve checked online and 0W-30 isn’t 504 00 /507 00 spec.
Should I be concerned?
Cheers

When I had my S3 I had a similar question, think they can use multiple oils types as long as a certain thing is correct, forget what it is now, but just check your car on something like this: https://www.eurocarparts.com/engine...S2Q48WOpIkPlMQm5V4fqPNLdNu4mIdHhoC8vcQAvD_BwE
Thanks.
It’s the VW 504 00/507 00 specification that’s the issue.
I’ve checked on ETKA and my DCYA engine needs (like many other VAG engines from the last 20 yrs) oil that meets VW 504/507 spec.
Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets it , Edge 0W-30 doesn’t , in fact it’s a Jaguar Land Rover / Renault spec oil.
There are plenty of brands of 0W-30 oil that do meet VW 504/507 , it’s just that Castrol Edge Professional isn’t one of them.
So, it’s coming out as soon as can be arranged and Edge 5W-30 is going in.

Reactions: 147bear, S32B, AJB and 1 other person
Thanks.
It’s the VW 504 00/507 00 specification that’s the issue.
I’ve checked on ETKA and my DCYA engine needs (like many other VAG engines from the last 20 yrs) oil that meets VW 504/507 spec.
Castrol Edge 5W-30 meets it , Edge 0W-30 doesn’t , in fact it’s a Jaguar Land Rover / Renault spec oil.
There are plenty of brands of 0W-30 oil that do meet VW 504/507 , it’s just that Castrol Edge Professional isn’t one of them.
So, it’s coming out as soon as can be arranged and Edge 5W-30 is going in.
Amazing how they get the basics wrong some dealers,ive heard this before,why not just follow the oil use guidlines they produced for there own engines its not hard.

Amazing how they get the basics wrong some dealers,ive heard this before,why not just follow the oil use guidlines they produced for there own engines its not hard.
Completely agree.
It’s not rocket science.
I shouldn’t be having to tell a Main Dealer that they’ve put the wrong spec oil in a car.
Am not happy either that now the dealer is aware of the oil issue they’ve just said it’ll “be fine”.
It’s not fine in the long term which is why it’s coming out!

Reactions: 147bear
My newly-delivered A3 ( Audi Approved Used Car) has just been serviced ( Main Dealer) and they’ve used Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 whereas I was expecting 5W-30.
I’ve checked online and 0W-30 isn’t 504 00 /507 00 spec.
Should I be concerned?
Cheers
What engine does your A3 have. I know my 2019 35tfsi runs on 0-20 grade oil.

Colin

What engine does your A3 have. I know my 2019 35tfsi runs on 0-20 grade oil.

Colin
Thanks, it’s a DCYA 2.0 TDI.
Today I enquired at a main dealer and whilst I now know that some of the latest engines are indeed being filled with 0W-30 and the recommendation for older engines (as a bit of a retrograde improvement ) is to use the same grade, the issue is that I can’t find any Castrol Edge 0W-30 that meets VW 504 00/ 507 00.
It’s more and more likely that the oil is going to have to come out …..