Engine Management light intermittent

Steveo3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have a 2011 A5 2.7d it has 125000 miles on the clock and runs like a dream, however my engine management light comes on intermittently approximately 5 times in the last 2 months.
The car goes into limp mode and have to stop switch the engine off and restart it again, this clears the fault and the cars ok again!!!!
I have plugged it onto a code reader but there are no codes stored in the memory so I have no idea what's causing the problem.

The only thing I can think of doing now it to plug the reader in every time I drive the car and wait until it goes into limp mode again and see if it comes up with a code.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what was it?

Thanks in advance.

How very bizarre. Plugged in or not i'd imagine something would be stored and then findable via an OBD reader. I had a failed swirl flap on my 3.0TDI A5, which is just a stronger 2.7TDI, and it would cause a limp mode only remedied by clearing fault codes, and sometimes it wouldn't store a code in the process, other times it would.

When the engine is cold, pop your bonnet, wind your driver's window all the way down, and from the outside slot your key fob in and press it once (turning the ingition on but not the engine), and see if both the swirl flaps complete a full test cycle. You'll need to remove the top engine cover by pulling it off to see them. It's a quick maneuver to not miss them moving, because they dont take long, but at the very least, they should go in opposite directions to one another; all the way up, and then down, or vice versa for the other side. If one of them doesnt do it or struggles, its on its way out and will throw a limp mode - and usually a code, but, cars hey. My car after running all hot and revvy wouldn't do the cycle, so it's best done on a cold engine.

My 3.0 TDi did this twice, once for the EGR and once for the DPF.

May be worth booking in with a local independent garage to do a full diagnostic, as it should store the codes.

If you‘re in the midlands, I can’t recommend Tim at A1 highly enough. He’s looked after me and my Audi’s for years.