Engine bay seems abnormally hot

Dodg3r

Reaction score
I have a 1999 agu engine after running even idling for a short time the engine and bay are really hot , some parts to hot to touch , the temperature gauge stays bang on 90 I just feel it's far too hot in there I can smell the heat , so could I have a problem somewhere or do these 1.8t's run extremely hot

These cars do run high temps. When you have it idling and it's up to temp does your fans come on as they should?
If you have vcds you can check that the engine temp is the same as the gauge is reading.

These cars do run high temps. When you have it idling and it's up to temp does your fans come on as they should?
If you have vcds you can check that the engine temp is the same as the gauge is reading.
Thanks for the reply , Il have to check the fans , i was going to replace them as they were really loud grinding noise but I haven't heard them in a while come to think about it , maybe it's time to change them , I have vcds the free version am I still able to check with that?

If you turn the aircon on then the fans should come on. Does your after-run coolant pump run when you turn the engine off?

You can check coolant temp using the climate control panel. Press and hold the recirc and airflow up (fat arrow) buttons together and then release.

You should see '1c' on the climate control display

Press the temperature '+' button to cycle up to '49c' .

Press the recirc button

The coolant temperature should be displayed on the CC display

Reactions: Sandra
You can check coolant temp using the climate control panel. Press and hold the recirc and airflow up (fat arrow) buttons together and then release.

You should see '1c' on the climate control display

Press the temperature '+' button to cycle up to '49c' .

Press the recirc button

The coolant temperature should be displayed on the CC display
Il check when I get the car running again , having a camshaft sensor problem now (open or short to + code) , Il report back here when I try what you said thanks

Okay I eventually got round to it and checked the temp with the climate control and my temp was staying between 90 and 94 , fans don't kick on though , if the fans are broken wouldn't the temps be well above 90

If your fans don't come on the engine will use up the coolant in it to keep the temps where they should. Have you had to keep topping up ur coolant?

If your fans don't come on the engine will use up the coolant in it to keep the temps where they should. Have you had to keep topping up ur coolant?
Yes occasionally but more like top up a little bit every few weeks it wasn't losing much

If the fans don't run then it should over heat when stationary for prolonged periods

It has not overheat in the 3-4 years I've owned it , Il change the fans and see how it goes from there , thanks for the advice everybody