End of A4 manual transmission in the US?

Of course, one will never know the truth, however I believe this is to assist in achieving total marque emission and fuel targets more than economy of scale.

Though it is still far better than its alternatives, even with its warts, still disappointed the S4 couldn't be had with a manual tranny....and yes, slush boxes have improved immensely over the period.
In the 60's we had in Oz, Chrysler Valiants (like a shrunk Dodge Phoenix), which had a series of buttons located on the dash, right-hand side of the tiller. It was referred to as a typewriter tranny, because both buttons were surprisingly similar. Actually I believe Audi should do something similar, say, for R/N/D, and put the Sport button on the s/wheel/console, then remove the superfluous (and hideous) gearlever.

Again, manufacturers giving us what they want us to have, rather than what customers really desire.

Last edited:
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/volk...cost-of-wltp-changeover/2018-08-31/75142.html
YEAH, YEAH.....I know this is not about the UK masses.
The report refers to VAG manual models halted for WLTP. Noting the manual Audis were produced for the US & UK markets, but not offered in Europe, and they are a LHD & RHD countries, VW Aust confirmed WLTP is not only affecting models sold only in Europe.
Also 'with sister brand Audi recently suspending sales of its RS3 sedan and hatchback"

Who cares, Americans make such a big deal out of manual cars, like it makes you some sort of driving God if you can 'drive a stick', given everyone here learns to drive on a manual Car we don't quite hold it in such mythic terms

I think the point is choice should occur, not the decision taken out their hands. Which I feel is fair enough and imagine the whoha that would happen in the UK if Audi, or other manufacturers took this decision for next year. It will come as some predict within 10 years...

Who cares, Americans make such a big deal out of manual cars, like it makes you some sort of driving God if you can 'drive a stick', given everyone here learns to drive on a manual Car we don't quite hold it in such mythic terms
Ummm... I think you missed the point. Whilst it is not mentioned specifically, it is almost a given that the UK will lose the manual transmission, and quickly. Cost & WLTP will see to that. Also whilst many a person throughout the world learnt to drive a manual, with an aging fleet, there will be less and less manuals to learn on. Fact.
In addition, outside the US, I believe you would be surprised how many people have an automatic licence only.

In 2014 Autocar was reporting the imminent death of mt gearboxes in the uk. Premature maybe but with the advent of more and more safety fewtures and automous cars it is going to happen...

Ummmm???? A GT2 hardly competes in the same market category as an A4. Different fruit.
The Carbuzz article also eluded to the fact that manual boxes will still exist, but not in mainstream cars/models

Honda, Subaru and Mazda have also commited to retaining the manual gearbox in the USA, and, as far as I understand, strangely so are Volkswagen, the Jetta being the exception.
However we both agree that it is an endangered species...

They haven't removed the manual option on ALL A4's..........they have just introduced a manual option for the S4 in the US!

Yeah. I’ve read a few articles on it. I was thinking how the heck do the automatic preferring Yanks get the Manual when is Manual loving Brits get lumbered with the auto!

Yeah. I’ve read a few articles on it. I was thinking how the heck do the automatic preferring Yanks get the Manual when is Manual loving Brits get lumbered with the auto!
Would love a link to any of them, as I do not appear to be able to find one.
I've looked at 3 Youtube videos of supposed 2017/2018/2019 Audi S4 with manual transmission, but after viewing them they all now possess the comment of "LIAR!!! this S4 has an automatic shift". One can clearly see the 'P,N,D/S'.
Also nothing in the B9 S4 section of Audizine US forum. They do talk about the blown S6 motors, as in chewed metal in the sump. Literally Tick-Tick-Bang!!!

Last edited: