Electronic Handbrake

Chris Reynolds

Reaction score
Hi,

I have noticed recently that I have to manually pull the handbrake button when stopping for it to apply. I thought that it would have put on the handbrake/parking brake once you selected park or even when you turn the ignition off. Is this the case ?

Thanks in advance

I have the Hill Hold Assist, so don't really notice when it swaps to the hand brake - but I seem to remember it will come on when you take off the seat belt or when you open a door. someone will put me straight if I am wrong!

I have the Hill Hold Assist, so don't really notice when it swaps to the hand brake - but I seem to remember it will come on when you take off the seat belt or when you open a door. someone will put me straight if I am wrong!

Will stay on when you take off your seatbelt. I moved mine (from one parking space to another in a car park) yesterday without my seatbelt on. Opening the door will make it come on though definitely.

Will stay on when you take off your seatbelt. I moved mine (from one parking space to another in a car park) yesterday without my seatbelt on. Opening the door will make it come on though definitely.

Is yours manual? Mine is auto, and if you don't have your seat belt on, you have to keep your foot on the brake and manually release it.

Is yours manual? Mine is auto, and if you don't have your seat belt on, you have to keep your foot on the brake and manually release it.

Auto, I got in, started it up, put it in D and drove off.

Oh, mine won’t do that. Just tried it on the way home from work.
Yes - I can take off and the parking brake will release. But you have to be a bit "positive". So it does jolt a slightly. It's not like blipping the throttle to release the hold assist, which releases very gently.

Hold assist is the perfect match for the manual gearbox. Fully automatic handbrake and undetectable unless you try setting off with a door not fully closed.