Electric folding door mirrors....

mdoyle69

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Does anyone know if its easy to get hold of electric folding door mirrors for my S3? The ones i have are electric adjustable and heated, but dont fold electrically

I am after the aluminium covers too.

Its not standard on mine....2002/2003 model, dont know why though!!!

I like gadgets so any help on this would be much appreciated!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sorry guys but i am still waiting for vag to get back to me...will let ya all know asap

Audi quoted me £293+ vat for aluminium mirrors (the whole unit) which for the alu ones isnt bad at all!!!
This wasnt the electric folding ones though.

VAG can get them brand new for £230 +VAT but as i say they havent got back to me about the folding ones yet.

There is still the question of wiring them up too!!!
And getting the switch for the door.

I will keep you all informed!!!

Hey all....

This is what VAG told me about the electric folding/adjustable/aluminium door mirrors.

"I can see why this couldn't be done but you will need to do a fair bit of wiring the mirrors are £307.89 +vat each, the switch you would need
is £19.71 +vat"

If my calculator is working ok then they are £361.77 each. Thats not too bad, but it sounds as if it could be a pig to wire up!!!

I am still thinkin about it...let me know if any of you get it sorted!!!

Later....i gtg to work now

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"I am still thinkin about it..."

I ordered a set on Wednesday, should be here by the end of the next week. I didn't go for the chrome backed version, that cut the cost quite alot.

They do sound difficult to wire up, but hey what else am I to do at weekends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I'll let you know how it progresses.

and how much did the standard cap folding mirrors cost, as if they are reasonable I could in theory transfer my ali mirrors if I got them?

Step by step and pics would be nice too.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
and how much did the standard cap folding mirrors cost, as if they are reasonable I could in theory transfer my ali mirrors if I got them?

Step by step and pics would be nice too.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be huge leap from standard to aluminium prices, have look below:

"Thanks for the enquiry on the question of the mirrors; I can't see any
reason why this can't be done the mirrors are £98.53 +vat the new switch
will be £19.71 +vat, you will have to add additional wiring to operate
these. This would have to be made up. Hope this helps let me know"

So at £98.53 each and £19.71 for the switch + VAT, I was on the phone straight away. I will photograph the installation, I'm hoping the backs off my existing mirrors will fit the new ones so I don't have the get them colour matched, this would go for switching over your aluminium backs also.

When they arrive I'll take a photo and post it here so you can see what you get for your money.

Now the only remaining question is do I have them fold in when I turn the engine off or when I turn on the alarm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info.

Would be nice if the covers are transferable too.

Keep us posted!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Thanks for the info.

Would be nice if the covers are transferable too.

Keep us posted!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK got the kit last Friday and the good news is that you can simply fit your old covers onto the new fitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The not so good news is that it ****** difficult to wire up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

The mirrors have a simple electrical plug on them, but the relay that has to be wired into the circuit is a bit of a mystery. It has 6 spade connections comming out of it (with identification markings) but how that relates to the mirrors I don't know, looks like its going to be a steep learning curve in auto electronics. I can't even fit the mirrors in preperation for wiring up at a later date as they are in the closed position, Doh. Have a look at the pics, all help/pointing in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Last one, oh and by the way in total the kit cost just under £270 inc delivery.

[ QUOTE ]
recomdos said:
i so want them! but don't like the look of all this technical wiring stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!!!

Be sure to make very accurate notes and take lots of picies for the rest of us mere mortals to follow in your footsteps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
You may find the following link helpful for info on relays:
12 Volt .COM

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers for the pics.........very tempting, but your going to have to be our gunie pig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif