EGR cooler

disk0

Reaction score
Had a bottom twitching moment last night pulling on to a motorway slip road.

Awful noise and opted to be towed home rather than cause more damage.

Turns out the flange on the EGR cooler has decided to separate, made a real scary sound when it went.

Initially thought it was the perhaps the DPF or turbo but as there was no engine warning light or puff of smoke I was left wondering.

My local garage has found the problem and welded the flange for the time being, apparently very hard as the metal is very thin.

Looking at prices in ebay I am looking at £300 plus labour for fitting as I just don't have the time to do this myself.

My question is, will I need a new EGR valve as well when this is replaced? Or can I get away with cleaning it with brake cleaner etc?

Buy a blank and fit that, only a few quid of ebay and easy to fit.

Just realised my "nope" wasn't really helpful! I meant nope you won't need a new EGR valve. Yes cleaning it out would be a good idea, I used wins egr cleaner for mine, it's brilliant but expensive.

The trouble with just blanking it is the car needs to have the egr mapped out,if not it won't driver right and will have loss of power,you can unplug the maf and that seems to give you the power back but you will have a permanent engine light on until it is mapped out.

Have to be honest, I'd rather put the money towards having the DPF mapped out and just taking off the EGR cooler and the EGR itself. It's what I've done.

Reactions: disk0
The place that did my remap should be able to do the DPF and EGR all in one, quoted me £200 as they did a remap for me last year. This includes the further map to cover the EGR delete and DPF.