EA 189 service action - anyone had it done?

ScottyP45

Reaction score
I have been contacted by Audi regarding the above, and wanted to ask if anyone on here has had it done and did it affect anything negatively on the 2.0 TDi 16v CR motor specifically, CBAB.

I am sceptical of it having as they say "no effect on maximum torque, driveability" etc as the emphasis is on maximum so I bet it dulls the bottom end response.

Anyone have an insight to share? "had it done and its fine", "had it done and wish I hadn't" etc etc...

I had several letters from Audi to get my 2010 A3 2.0 TDI 170 brought in, but I declined. There was a lot of media coverage regarding it with people saying that they felt a drop in performance and had issues after it had been done.

Not having it done doesn’t affect the future emissions band or anything like that. I bought the car for the figures it produced, and I think that they’re update would have reduced the cars performance to bring them in line with the actual emissions they stated the cars produced.
I was scepticle about it so decided against it.

Yeah I think I'm with you on that so no update for me. If it didn't affect power or performance or drivability, why did they develop special software to make it pretend it met the emissions standards whilst under test...clearly it must have had a negative effect elsewhere that they didn't want or they would just have put the updated (correct) software in at the time eh.

If meeting the required limits on emissions had no detrimental effect then surely they would not have tried to circumvent them.

Are you referring to the software mod after the emissions scandal?

If so I was repeatedly contacted by audi to get my A6 done. Politely decline as I’ve read loads of reports of it bugg**ing the car up. The only way to fix was to revert the ecu, and sometimes that failed and the ecu bricked.

Do not have it done, causes egr cooler failure

Reactions: samuelh_888
Thanks guys, confirmed for me, so it won't be happening. I'm not taking the chance!