Driver's Side Wing Mirror - Help!

Timz15

Reaction score
My car was involved in a minor incident yesterday which led to the wing mirror (drivers side) being damaged . The glass itself cracked a fair bit and the indicator is also cracked (but still works). The black casing beneath the wing looks dislodged a bit but looks like it can be put back into place. Surprisingly, the coloured wing cap wasn't damaged, dented or scratched in the process.

Fortunately, the electrics within wing weren't damaged and it can still fold, heat and move the glass around.

Had a look online and found a replacement glass for it but struggling to find the correct indicator. Does anyone have any recommendations in getting the indicator?
Will be giving Audi a call first thing Monday and see if they could source this part for me.

Has anyone also carried out any wing mirror work on their A5/S5? Looked at some videos and I believe I may need a T10 screwdriver. Not sure I need anything else?

Looking to get a quote from Audi for the overall work and pass that onto the driver of the other vehicle but I have a very good feeling he won't be paying it (the cost of his 2010 Hyundai glass would end up being nothing compared to mine)

Oh and the impact of the hit also caused some scratching the door window. Heard that baking soda/toothpaste is a good remedial...
49269fa0951ffc67a95178ff0bef5b9c.jpg
351947c0cfe2b9283f618c7c50f88394.jpg
5ff4653d8672e5b4f0037502abb45320.jpg
b0ae282ba0ca4a75170909f779c186fc.jpg
8046c8b4ae4438422aba3c1997479d43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about this mate, try here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/support-tickets/list

Or hopefully Tom @creweaudiparts will now see this post and be able to help you :)

As for the scratches on the glass, be careful what you use! Try some t-cut or as you say whitening toothpaste. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail you will only be able to make it slightly better though.

EDIT* Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound, if it doesn't work on the glass it's still great for the paint!

Reactions: Timz15
I had something similar on my old Golf and the clear plastic “square” broke off.

I managed to take the frame of the wing mirror off and glue the small broken piece back on and refit. Looked good as new.

The trim might just clip back in but until you remove the glass you won’t know if the clips are broken or not.

Reactions: Timz15
I had something similar on my old Golf
Talking of the Golf! I was talking to the sales guy in Mazda yesterday, he was telling me how a friend of his worked for VW, he'd sold over 30 Golf R's and out of those over 20 got stolen!!! :blink:

Sorry to hear about this mate, try here https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/support-tickets/list

Or hopefully Tom @creweaudiparts will now see this post and be able to help you :)

As for the scratches on the glass, be careful what you use! Try some t-cut or as you say whitening toothpaste. If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail you will only be able to make it slightly better though.

EDIT* Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound, if it doesn't work on the glass it's still great for the paint!

Thanks for that link! Will give that a look through as well.

Pretty sure I've got t-cut somewhere in the garage so will try that then if the toothpaste fails.

Reactions: S32B
I had something similar on my old Golf and the clear plastic “square” broke off.

I managed to take the frame of the wing mirror off and glue the small broken piece back on and refit. Looked good as new.

The trim might just clip back in but until you remove the glass you won’t know if the clips are broken or not.

Yeah that's what I envisage. Need to remove the indicator to get to the trim it seems so may just hold out until I find the part for the indicator