DRC

s3ollie

Reaction score
I read that in the US and Canada Audi issued a recall to fully change the whole DRC system.

I guess this didn't happen in the UK?

Is there any other recall / 'service campaigns' that were due for the RS4?

Cheers

hi Mate,

my DRC went on my 06 RS4 about 8 months ago (Horrible knocking noises from suspension) - tried to get some kind of goodwill from Audi but i didnt stand a chance since my car was an 06. i cant remember what i was quoted to replace but 2 of the four corners (since the dampers are interconnected) had gone which meant there was a good chance the central control valve(s) were also on the way out...which also meant the other 2 interconnecting corners are vulnerable.

i ended up spending just over £1k on new Bilstein Suspension all round. This made the car a hell of alot stiffer all of the time. Even though i preferred the feel of factory DRC, the Billstein option was much more cost effective!

hope this helps..

from what i remember - there are 2 central control valves (would probably need to replace both @ approx £900 each from what i remember + the cost of Shocks/dampers all round...)

There was a UK-wide 'service campaign', but it wasn't a mandatory recall, only applied to cars that showed signs of leaking/failure at the time of the offer. I'd say around 80% of cars had the shocks changed under the extended warranty, and almost all the rest had them done at the owner's cost.

The corners are connected diagonally, with a control valve in the middle of each pair. If one shock is replaced, chances are it's opposite will need replaced too and depending on how long the system was under-pressured for, the valve may be damaged too. When my 4th one went (only 3 were replaced on goodwill just before I bought the car), I think it was around £500 for the one shock and fitting, but the guy said it would have been more like £1500 if the valve had gone.

If the dampers weren't replaced and then failed, I'd say most people would go the after-market coil over route as it's cheaper plus you get the adjustable height and rebound.

There was a UK-wide 'service campaign', but it wasn't a mandatory recall, only applied to cars that showed signs of leaking/failure at the time of the offer. I'd say around 80% of cars had the shocks changed under the extended warranty, and almost all the rest had them done at the owner's cost.

Audi UK only instigated the service campaign after sustained pressure and a letter writing campaign to the then MD of Audi UK from many members on rs246.com

That resulted in a warranty extension for DRC to 5 years/75,000 miles, and a much "better" attitude to goodwill claims from Audi UK.

I firmly believe that AoA did a full recall because they understood that US RS4 owners would instigate a class action suit against them, but Audi UK know that most Brits will complain but take it no further. In the UK we are victims of our own complacency...

I've had the Mark 3 DRC fitted (following a major DRC failure - all 4 shocks and both valves - after having to swerve at high speed to avoid some idiots walking in the road on a unlit section of the A27 near Chichester) and it's been in good health for 4+ years no with no reports of weeping at my recent MOT.

I guess I'm saying don't rule out DRC, it's a great system that gives a good ride and good handling - but check that the syystem is in good working order without any leaks or weeping.

Thanks for all the replys.

I don't actually think (hope) I have DRC issues, just thought if they would change for free then who am I to stand in their way (dreaming!) I do have a small loose noise only very occasionally but I would think this is ARB link. I have had a quick look at the shocks and don't see any leaks and the speed hump test is quiet.
I do have a small amount of loose steering and wandering which I think is going to be related to tie rods / ends or one of the many control arms. Cars on 62K so I would think it would benefit for a new set of control arms etc...

Any thoughts?

Oh and I emailed Audi UK regarding any recalls and Campaigns and they want me to phone them back so I guess there may be something?