Door locking oddity/feature

L_G

Reaction score
Last weekend I dropped SWMBO off to collect something and drove a short distance to a suitable place and parked up and switched the engine off but didn't leave the car and continued to listen to music.

When she tried to get back in the passenger side door was locked (presumably I had driven fast enough to re-enable the autolocking) I tried the lock/unlock button on the driver's side door but this had no obvious affect and the only way to overcome this without using the key fob was opening the driver's door.

This has happened a couple of times now, I assume it is because being keyless start there is no equivalent to just having the key in the ignition so the driver's door button is disabled when the engine is switched off.

Any ideas to overcome this or is this a fault with the car?

Hey mate, check in the MMI Car settings re door locks and make sure all doors are checked for locking/unlocking not just the drivers door option is checked.

Thanks, I'll have a look but the doors all open when I unlock the car rather than just the driver's door so I think something else is causing this "feature"

Last weekend I dropped SWMBO off to collect something and drove a short distance to a suitable place and parked up and switched the engine off but didn't leave the car and continued to listen to music.

When she tried to get back in the passenger side door was locked (presumably I had driven fast enough to re-enable the autolocking) I tried the lock/unlock button on the driver's side door but this had no obvious affect and the only way to overcome this without using the key fob was opening the driver's door.

This has happened a couple of times now, I assume it is because being keyless start there is no equivalent to just having the key in the ignition so the driver's door button is disabled when the engine is switched off.

Any ideas to overcome this or is this a fault with the car?
Wouldn't just pushing the ignition button once enable the driver side lock/unlock button to work again?

Reactions: L_G
Good point, will try that next time

As the mmi doesn't switch off until you open the driver's door I'd expected the same for the lock/unlock button

Good point, will try that next time

As the mmi doesn't switch off until you open the driver's door I'd expected the same for the lock/unlock button
Yeah you'd think so, but I can only assume they do it to save on battery power!