Door Electrics

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
In the icey weather we have just had I tried to put my window down and noticed the lights on the window switches going dim as I pressed them. The trouble was that the window had frozen and so it couldnt open. However all of a sudden all the power for the door went off as if a fuse had burst. The electric mirrors, windows, and door locking button dont work or light up. But the central locking still works.

I have checked all the fuses 3 times on the drivers side. Am I missing something? Is there a fuse inside the door on the motor or somewhere else?

Since today I had the ignition on and I was removing all the fuses and now I have the EPC light on!! This must be due to me unplugging it whilst the ignition was on. Trouble is its stopping on now. How do you get this to go off? Will it just go off in time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

the ESP light might mean you need the Steering Wheel Zeroed buy vag-com or some other tool (Launch X431 :))

I will try to dig out some information on the wiring and safety functions of the electric windows.

Thanks. I have never heard that the stearing wheel needed zeroing before. I know it happened because I removed the fuse whilst the ignition was on. Im hoping that if I leave the battery off for a few hours it will reset the ecu codes etc and switch off. The only thing worrying me is that the only time I have ever had the EPC light on before was when I had a serious electronic fault and not a minor one. It doesnt seem to come on unless something is wrong!

JUST A THEORY BUT THERE MAYBE A FUSE FOR THE DOOR ELECTRICS ON THE CONVIENIENCE MODULE UNDER THE CARPET, PASSENGER SIDE, CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS?

this has happened to me aswel... same thing the window was frozen and I tried putting it down... got stuck down and when I got it up eventually it now wont go down at all... all the rest of the electrics in my door are working fine though... although I havent tried the electric mirrors yet... anyone any other ideas as to what it might be?? electric window motor?? and if it was the electric window motor would it effect the rest of the windows aswel or just the one??

I would thing in your case as the window works one way it sounds like the motor has gone or at least the switch. Mine is different. All the electrics are off in the door except the central locking. That says to me it must be a fuse. I cant find the damn thing though which gets me worried. I will have a look in the pasenger footwell and see if I can find a convienience module and let you know. Hopefully that will be it. While im looking I will take the battery off for 15 mins as well.

All the fuses are in the fuse box for the convenience module - they are labelled normally.
There are no fuses by the Convenience module or in the door.
There may be a single fuse in the connector area behind the a-pillar front kick panels - I seem to recall these are for electric seats (electric lumbar etc.)

The door electrics work via CAN-BUS signals, i.e. there are a couple of wires that communicate the functions from the Convenience module in the car, i.e. locking, alarm sensing, elec wing mirrors, all round elec windows, etc.
The other door wires are 0v and a hefty 12v supply for all items and a pair of speaker cables.
If you have a factory fitted auto-dimming mirror then there are couple of wires which also come to the door for this function.
In each door there is an individual control module that interfaces with most of the door electronics / motors / switches etc. and then back via CAN-BUS to the Convenience module.

Get a VAG-COM/VCDS scan - the fault should show up here on the scan if it's a duff component.
Maybe a fellow forum member can help with a scan?