Dogs in a A4 saloon advice

liveseytowers

Reaction score
We got a puppy back in Feb and she doesn't seem to enjoy the car too much. When we take her for a walk she often pee's on the back seat and yesterday she puked just as we got home all over the back seat. I had to get someone out to clean it and disinfect it :(

Does anyone else let their dogs in the back of their A4 saloon? I'm looking for some kind of dog seat/carrier for the back that will go in the middle as the kids will be on either side. I've got a dog seatbelt too which doesn't seem to fit into the seatbelt buckle. Do the A4's have a different type of seatbelt connector?

Any advice from fellow dog owners is appreciated!

We got a puppy back in Feb and she doesn't seem to enjoy the car too much. When we take her for a walk she often pee's on the back seat and yesterday she puked just as we got home all over the back seat. I had to get someone out to clean it and disinfect it :(

Does anyone else let their dogs in the back of their A4 saloon? I'm looking for some kind of dog seat/carrier for the back that will go in the middle as the kids will be on either side. I've got a dog seatbelt too which doesn't seem to fit into the seatbelt buckle. Do the A4's have a different type of seatbelt connector?

My dog travels well so I don’t need a seat particularly but I do keep a towel on the seat (just in case). I use what looks like a shortened lead (got it from the dogs trust). You pull the buckle of the seatbelt through the loop and then secure the buckle into the clasp. I use this (lead) along with a harness. Reggie has never had a problem with it

Or something like this maybe?

SlowTon Dog Seat belt, 2 Pack Adjustable Pet Car Headrest Restraint Puppy Clip Lead Safety SeatBelt with Elastic Bungee and Reflective Stripe Connect Dog Vehicle Harness

from Amazon

You can get those large rear seat protectors, can't remember the names, but think of it like a huge carrier bay that fixes to head restraints & pets sit inside them, helps to stop hair.

I wonder if they're getting travel sickness, the protector may help if they can't see the road as it rises up the sides & front, so can block view

I had a puppy (still is in fact) that would drool while in the car until one day it just stopped.

I believe it’s most likely travel sickness due to the immaturity of their inner ear and balance. In our quest to ‘fix’ the issue, we found it improved when the puppy sat in the front footwell.

It may have either been because he was with his humans or because of the lack of motion as a result of being between the wheels, rather than at the back of an Avant.

The only thing you can fix is the experience, the sickness is just a waiting game. Try making the car ride fun, short rides that end in their dinner or a pleasant experience. They’ll learn to enjoy the ride.

Reactions: SiPie

Think it takes time. My pup was traumatised by first few journeys .. we kept it short and only every few days ..then slowly increasing frequency but still not too much .. I have a seat cover that goes all the way across the back seats and has a few holes to poke seatbelt through (to attach to harness) and a zip section in middle to allow the cup holder thing to come down ..

Think it takes time. My pup was traumatised by first few journeys .. we kept it short and only every few days ..then slowly increasing frequency but still not too much .. I have a seat cover that goes all the way across the back seats and has a few holes to poke seatbelt through (to attach to harness) and a zip section in middle to allow the cup holder thing to come down ..
Mine screamed for the first one when leaving his Mum. Sounded like I was murdering him. After that, it’s was a whimper and shortly

I have an Avant so he’s mostly been in a crate in the back. Now he has his own Lintran box which is awesome. No issues at all.

If you’re wondering about the box, it’s for everyone’s safety as he’s 43kg and I don’t want that moving during driving or an accident.

I had a lovely A6 Avant, which my dog, bless him, managed to time his puking to just before we stopped on every single outing - tried everything but to no avail. Since downsizing, although he is not keen with car journeys, he has never been sick again, and I believe this is all down to the fact he can see out of the window in the A3, but could not in the A6 - but maybe he just didn't like the car....

Does anyone enjoy being in the back of a saloon or avant?!! I feel sick whenever I'm a rear seat passenger , don't blame wee animals that haven't adapted yet.
I recommend thick old blankets and lots of wipes/plastic bags( that's just for me!).
I've always used a harness for my dogs and a shortened lead- don't like to think of the potential damage just a collar and emergency stops might involve.

We no longer have our dog BUT in the 13 + years we had him he came ever where with us. We had a rubber backed ''hammock'' style cover that fitted over the front & rear head rest. He loved sitting there looking out the window or would fall asleep with his head on the arm rest, even tho he had his bed in the back with him. He was never sick once or had any accidents & he's been all over Europe with us, never went in Kennels & if we could not take the dog then we didn't go. He also had a seat belt attachment that fitted to his harness so he could still be comfy but if the worst had happened he would be safe & not thrown around.