DIY Air-con Re-gas - Do they work?

W55LSY

Reaction score
So, my air-con is less than useless. I've see these DIY re-gas kits for around £50. An one have any experience of using one? Do they work ? It seems most garages are charging about £80-£120 for a re-gas

Cheers

Ive used the kit from halfrauds on an R56 mini to good effect.
Never missed a beat after that. Still have it in the garage!

Imo no.
I paid far less than 50 quid, think I paid 20 quid, and used it on a friend's car.

The main issue is that you don't know how much you've lost, and how much you need to fill.
With the kits, you attach the low pressure line, the proper garages have it attached to the high and low lines.
They also drain the whole system, pressure test, add pag oil for the compressor, and then fill up the specified amount from empty.
You won't be able to do that with a diy kit. If yours is less than useless atm, then there's either a leak in the system or the gas is very low. Get it done properly, should be £50 usually but as its hot now....

Reactions: xaudi
Did mine last week. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/aircon-recharge.426814/

Has yours gradually got worse or stopped working all of a sudden?

Edit: Check what gas your car uses. I’ve just looked at my A3 and it doesn’t use the R134A gas I bought for the Golf at £60 a bottle (retail), it uses the new YF1234 gas at £130 a bottle! Different fitting needed too for the YF1234. ******!

A quick look shows ATS, Kwik-Fit and F1 charging £60 for a R134A top-up and £130 for a YF1234 one.

YF1234 has to be used by law on all vehicles registered from 1st Jan 2017

Last edited:
Worked on A3 didn’t on A6.

IMHO you need to investigate why it needs regarding in the first place.

Did mine last week. https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/aircon-recharge.426814/

Edit: Check what gas your car uses. I’ve just looked at my A3 and it doesn’t use the R134A gas I bought for the Golf at £60 a bottle (retail), it uses the new YF1234 gas at £130 a bottle! Different fitting needed too for the YF1234. ******!

A quick look shows ATS, Kwik-Fit and F1 charging £60 for a R134A top-up and £130 for a YF1234 one.

It's just been crap since I bought it. The pump and control etc work, it just isn't cold. If quick fot are offering £60 i'll go with that. cheers

Worked on A3 didn’t on A6.

IMHO you need to investigate why it needs regarding in the first place.
I'm 99% sure it just needs reagassing due to it being 10 years old.

Imo no.
I paid far less than 50 quid, think I paid 20 quid, and used it on a friend's car.

The main issue is that you don't know how much you've lost, and how much you need to fill.
With the kits, you attach the low pressure line, the proper garages have it attached to the high and low lines.
They also drain the whole system, pressure test, add pag oil for the compressor, and then fill up the specified amount from empty.
You won't be able to do that with a diy kit. If yours is less than useless atm, then there's either a leak in the system or the gas is very low. Get it done properly, should be £50 usually but as its hot now....
Yeah I think i'll get it done at a garage and know it's been done properly

I have no idea. I have a quick fit over the road so i think i'll get them to do it

Thanks for all the advice guys (and girls!)