Discs & pads time again...

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
It's time to replace the discs & pads again on my S3 and so I'm after your advice & recommendations please. I'm not intrested in "my mate says..." or "I've heard that..." type of feedback, only your own actual experiences please.

A few things I have ruled out:

1. I am not looking to upgrade the disc /caliper size.

2. The current set-up I have is EBC grooved/dimpled front and EBC plain rear, with Red Stuff pads all round. I've found them to be "OK", but I had BOTH rear inner pads crack down the centre line and the front discs have worn quicker than I expected them to. So I am not using EBC again.

3. I am not considering drilled discs, because of the risk of them cracking.

I was considering Black Diamond grooved with Predator pads all round but what other recommendations do you have? Has anyone got experience of Black Diamond discs/pads?

99% of my driving is on public roads, with very little track use.

Cheers, look forward to the replies & suggestions.

Ive just fitted the black diamond setup, will let you know once tested.

Hi there, just replaced pads n discs all round on my A6.............see my experience below.

Dealer V Indy pricing differential

I have to be honest I feel that the OEM know what they're doing, they do after all spend millions of pounds on research and development.........I've always found my OEM setup to be more than effective at stopping such a big lump of metal.

Just my 2c worth mate.......

Cheers

Jim

You got standard brakes or brembo's? Standard discs are fine with ferodo pads. They've saved me so many times! Even with the occasional spirited drive, it stops well!

I'm using EBC Ultimax slotted discs and I haven't had any issues with them- had them fitted for around 2 years and they have been pretty abused and I still live to tell the tales!

I've matched them with the EBC red stuff pads because at the time I didn't have the funds to go Ferrodo DS2500- which is where I'll be going next. So sounds like I have a similar set up as yourself at the moment moment but with different EBC discs.

You say the fronts wore down quicker than expected on yours....how long have you had them on for and what sort of mileage have they covered out of interest?

paul i wouldnt bother with expensive branded discs.
there is really little benefit, oem or items from ecp are fine.
pad choice and fluid is the important bit. saves you some money to get something like ferrodo ds2500s which everyone raves about. And motul RBF660 fluid.

I went with ds2500 pads and brembo max grooved discs . I recall reading a few posts of people warping standard discs with ds2500 pads ??

I've had a few 312 setups ranging from DS2500 and Brembo max right down to my current setup of plain cheap Pagid discs and Ferodo fast road pads. On the road it's difficult to tell the difference under normal driving but you'll notice the difference in your bank.

I have no issues at all with plain pagid discs, ferrodo road pads, and motul RBF660 fluid. Thing to remember is that I do have Brembos. On my old calipers the best setup was with RBF and decent pads, so like Karl says don't get hung up on discs too much. Pagid discs from ECP can be had for around £40 each ;)

I've got tarox g88's with ferodoo pads. Set up has been fine. However the discs were pricey and can't help but think the ds2500's would perform equally well with your bog standard oem discs. Which is probably what I will go for after these discs and pads give up the ghost.

I'm getting some ds2500 pads some time next week off bill just need some discs I'm more for looks so I defo won't be getting plain discs but was thinking of trying piraña discs at £110 for my LCR brembo

I went brembo plain discs and ferrodo ds2500 pads all round and loved them, thy were brilliant. That's was with braided lines and new fluid just standard fluid though not upgraded.

I got them from brake depot in chesterfield , and got them fitted by a mate in Mansfield.

sean

Thanks for the inputs chaps. I've had my existing set-up for around 35k miles now (3.5 yrs), with only 1 short track session at ADI in 2011 during that time. The inner surface of the discs are really well worn now though.

Hmm, thinking maybe of just sticking to OEM discs now. Decisions...

I had Black Diamond discs. They corroded far too quickly for my liking so went back to standard. Much quieter, don't seem to eat the pads like the Black Diamonds and perform adequately on my Stage 1 S3.

If I venture into uprated brakes again I would stick to standard discs with DS2500 pads and better fluid.

Sorry I'm getting pantha rear discs Monday with just grooves on for 60 so just need front now

Im using Mintex pads on my 312 brake setup and Superblue racing fluid. stops good enough for me. I also have grooved disks but I guess thats irrelevant