Direct tire pressure monitoring on vorsprung

Richn83

Reaction score
Evening, I've just got hold of the vin for my new car and trawling through the kit I was surprised to see "direct tire pressure monitoring system listed" hadn't seen that on any of the specs on the website.

Any other vorsprung owners know if it displays temp and pressure on either of the screens?

Won't have the car until next week to look for myself.

If it’s got the TPMS then you can display the tyre pressures and temperatures on the MMI screen when the car is moving

The kit list on mine says the same. Also, it is listed on the options codes (7K1) in the logbook and the sticker in the boot. However, the MMI only displays indirect TPMS.

Thanks' Frizzley and Fozzie, that would be a shame, direct would be via the sensors in the tire so it must have the data going over the canbus to alert about a pressure loss so not sharing it in the MMI would be an odd decision. Maybe I will be able to code it up like I did the oil temp on my current A3 8V although expect the coding will be more complex.

I've seen the RS showing it, so my only hope that the S specific dials on the virtual cockpit might display the data, assuming thats why frizzley can see it or its an A5/S5 thing.

If you’ve not got your Vin you can now set the car up in the My Audi app. Obviously you won’t be able to do much with it until you get the car but it will give you the full spec + it also has the car manual (in the service section) which you Can read before you pick it up

Thanks Frizzley I had already added it to my audi which is where I found the listing but I hadn't found the manual, just had a look and its potentially more confusing.

They define two types of TPMS - Tyre Pressure Loss which is ABS and flat or not

& Tyre Pressure Monitoring System which can show the temperature and actual pressure based on sensors.

The car says direct tire pressure monitoring system so suggests the better system based on wording and Fozzie should then see it too so might have to wait until I pick it up.

unfortunately I’ve only got the tyre pressure loss indicator on mine. If you google S4 TPMS you can see some images of the displays on the MMI. Have also seen some images of the VC displaying the pressures too but wasnt sure if these were from a B9.

normally you’d assume features such as these would be carried over in the facelift but I’ve noticed quite a few subtle changes in mmi functionality with the move from the control wheel to the touchscreen. Some of these have not been for the better but hopefully you will be lucky:thumbs up:.

perhaps you could post a couple of pics once you’ve had the chance to try it out?

Picked the car up on Thursday and as fozzie said despite the direct monitoring you can't see temp or pressure in either the VC or the mmi. Shame need to see if this is coding thing

I seem to remember that it was the S4 that had an option for the more advanced tpms system...

Mine is an S4, spec sheet suggests it's got direct sensors, manual suggests you can see the data but doesn't seem to be a screen to show the values, rs screens show the data might be something that can be activated by coding the virtual cockpit to show that screen I've only got an older hex+can vcds cable but will see what modules it can view at some point

S4 vorsprung, I guess in my head the vorsprung is the thing that ticks most of the options so assumed it was a vorsprung thing but could be an S4 thing instead.

Fozzie responded saying he sees the same on his A4 vorsprung so seems that it's vorsprung thing rather than an S

This might help - below is a list of the option codes for the various Audi TPMS systems - my car has 7K1 shown in the list of fitted options.

To be able to show individual tyre pressures in the mmi you need either 7K3, 4 or 5 which comes with the sensors / transmitters fitted in the valve of each wheel. This is usually standard on RS Vorsprung models and is also offered as an option on other RS sport models.

Believe this also used to be an option on B9 S4s & S5s but seems To have been removed when the ranges / option lists were rationalised following the introduction of the WTLP changes.

Suspect in addition to any coding changes adding this will require both new valves and a receiver.

7K0RDKWithout direct tire pressure monitoring system
7K1RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system
7K2RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system
7K3RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system, frequency 433 MHz High
7K4RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system, frequency 315 MHz High
7K5RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system, frequency 315 MHz with reduced transmitter power output
7K6RDKIndirect tire pressure monitoring system
7K7RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system, frequency 433 MHz Basic
7K8RDKDirect tire pressure monitoring system, frequency 315 MHz Basic
7K9RDKIndirect tire pressure monitoring system

Attachments

• 1622923152421.png
    1622923152421.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 102
Thanks frizzley, will go find the label not sure it's in the boot on mine as you can't lift the boot floor due to the 48v battery

As far as I know, it was never an option on B9 S4 as when i specced my S4 avant in 2017, I looked for it specifically … most bmw have direct TPMS as standard In 3 series or above . on a near £70k list car, it’s penny pinching to not fit .

Thanks frizzley, will go find the label not sure it's in the boot on mine as you can't lift the boot floor due to the 48v battery
Hi the options should also be on a label inside the cover of the car manual

As far as I know, it was never an option on B9 S4 as when i specced my S4 avant in 2017, I looked for it specifically … most bmw have direct TPMS as standard In 3 series or above . on a near £70k list car, it’s penny pinching to not fit .
Even my 2GC has it, as for the S4 having direct TPMS, I may well be thinking of the RS4...

It still says direct so you would expect it's still sensors in the tires, they aren't the high variant so they don't transmit the data but of they are direct at least they will be more sensitive than the indirect. Would hope they will trigger before the tires get low enough to actually change rotational value, but who knows unless someone takes a tire off.

It still says direct so you would expect it's still sensors in the tires, they aren't the high variant so they don't transmit the data but of they are direct at least they will be more sensitive than the indirect. Would hope they will trigger before the tires get low enough to actually change rotational value, but who knows unless someone takes a tire off.
If there are sensors, they have to transmit . Otherwise nothing can receive the data. Therefore the sensors would be totally redundant .
Direct TPMS transmits data (as a direct measurement of pressure, temp and a few other parameters you don’t see) Over a 433MHz carrier frequency .. indirect uses changes in the circumference as measured by the ABS Sensors.. called indirect as it can only measure a change from a reference point (when you store in MMI) i, measured by a non direct mechanism .

Last edited:
Hi nham, I realise they need to transmit but they don't have to transmit empirical data to the car it would be sensible if they did but they could transmit a signal to say value is the same, based on codes shared above 7k1 is direct so sensor on the wheel but doesn't transmit temp and pressure that can be found on the canbus and displayed by the car

Hi nham, I realise they need to transmit but they don't have to transmit empirical data to the car it would be sensible if they did but they could transmit a signal to say value is the same, based on codes shared above 7k1 is direct so sensor on the wheel but doesn't transmit temp and pressure that can be found on the canbus and displayed by the car
Ho Richn83, if You have a sensor on the wheel ,even if it’s just to detect a small change & only transmits a simple “ no change signal“that’s a poor mans direct TPMS. it’s no better than indirect TPMS (which does exactly this , albeit by measuring it differently - just detecting a change).
to measure a sensitive small change on the wheel means you need a pressure sensor MEMs device , so it wouldnt make sense not to transmit actual pressure value as you have the RF transmitters on the wheels and the receiver in the car .

Thanks Nham, Do you have some details on the 7K1 system you can share then id be interested to read how it works links or explanation wlecome.

I don’t I’m afraid . There are plenty of references online to Direct and indirect TPMS which you can reference .. the systems are quite generic .

Evening all, I managed to scan the car tonight with the help of another forum member, 4 TPMS warnings all showing up in the ABS module so despite the wording on the app this is indirect, it did specify the specific wheels and from tracking the PR code related to Q7 systems found a press release for this company and Audi and a supposedly improved indirect system https://europe.autonews.com/article...-dynamics-join-forces-as-systems-battle-rages & https://niradynamics.se/tire-pressure-indicator/

So indirect they just have some fancy software to tell you which tire, the irony is the car didnt tell me which tire just the usual warning although I didn't go into the menu but nothing on the VC.

Evening all, I managed to scan the car tonight with the help of another forum member, 4 TPMS warnings all showing up in the ABS module so despite the wording on the app this is indirect, it did specify the specific wheels and from tracking the PR code related to Q7 systems found a press release for this company and Audi and a supposedly improved indirect system https://europe.autonews.com/article...-dynamics-join-forces-as-systems-battle-rages & https://niradynamics.se/tire-pressure-indicator/

So indirect they just have some fancy software to tell you which tire, the irony is the car didnt tell me which tire just the usual warning although I didn't go into the menu but nothing on the VC.

View attachment 238115
Thx for the update - sounds like Audi / VW are being a bit loose with their description in the build code list. The use of direct in this case seems to refer to the system being able highlight which wheel has lost pressure.

Link below is for an article from the Audi Tech Portal (it’s from their German site so may need to use Google Translate!)

Have also found the following company that offers a retrofit of the full direct TPMS System - given the price think I’ll stick as is.

Interesting article, I had seen that before but looking for details of Direct systems I ignored that article. So suggests it should tell me which wheel if its just one. Funny thing on my car was all four wheels alarmed at the same time and every tire was a different pressure so hadn't been properly PDI's and the values saved, will be interesting to see if it will identify individual tires in the future but disappointing that they didn't just highlight it as an improved indirect system, would have saved me a lot of googling.....

Interesting article, I had seen that before but looking for details of Direct systems I ignored that article. So suggests it should tell me which wheel if its just one. Funny thing on my car was all four wheels alarmed at the same time and every tire was a different pressure so hadn't been properly PDI's and the values saved, will be interesting to see if it will identify individual tires in the future but disappointing that they didn't just highlight it as an improved indirect system, would have saved me a lot of googling.....

Indirect Will identify the wheel …

Which is what I have said above nham.... Including sharing info about the press release when Audi released it, info about the manufacturer and how they do it, more helpful than a sweeping statement.

My A3 8v had indirect and couldn't say which wheel, so will depend on the system in use and what was fitted to different cars.