detailing steps.

gwildor

Reaction score
Hi all

So i want to get the best possible finish on my a4 avant when i polish it this weekend but unfortunately ive over comitted this month so dont want to spend any cash.

The products I have so far are:
meguirs gold shampoo
Autoglym paint renovator
Megauirs step 2 polish
meguirs step 3 wax.

So id like to use this initialy to see what i can get out of it before buying new kit when thats run out.

So my question is what do i need to do to get the best finish?

Would it be beneficial to do more than one layer of polish or would more wax be better?

Cheers

Hi gwildor, where are you based?

What colours your avant?

Unfortunately, the above items aren't very good. Gold Class shampoo, fine - I've had this on several occasions in the past. However, the PaintReno I've never found much good and the Meg's 3 step products, are just a bit 'meh!'.

If you can spare £15, for now I'd go with a AutoGlym Super Resin Polish application (x2. maybe?) followed by AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection.

I've heard the Step 3 wax isn't very durable (it smells nice though; bananas, right? :p ) Atleast with the EGP you're getting some decent protection down.

It also might be an idea to clay the vehicle prior to polishing.

What applicators have you got for the polishing process?

Jimmeh cheers for the response.

I was worried i was going to get that answer.

If i had patience i could wait a week untill I get paid and buy new stuff.

In terms of application pads - nothing special i have some polishing cloths and pads bought from halfords i think.

The car is ming blue.

No problem. Where are you in the world? If local, you could borrow a few items if you wished

Ming Blue, ah, my first two A3's were ming. Any larger photos of the Avant, looks tasty from the avatar!

I'd defo reccomend Poorboys' Black Hole.

Infact..

DSC00427Customwd.jpg

As seen used here on a Mercedes Benz C220 CDi job.

Poorboys Black Hole

I'd apply the above with some of these.

I realise this is all an expense but it would certainly out-perform the Megs 3 step kit and PaintReno.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320369329653

here is the ad that i got the car from Robtaylors on this site. It has a vortex rear valance now : )

I dont really want to spend a lot of money untill i have worked out if i can be bothered to do it regulalry or not to be honest. At the moment im all excited because ive just picked the car up but i worry that ill go and spend a few hundred quid on top of the range stuff and it will sit in my garage doing nothing like the meguars stuff has for the last 6 months lol

oh and im Colchester Essex

i find poorboys stuff excellent value and easy to use with very good results.been useing some of the products for a while.the wax lasts a lot longer than the meguiers wax and is alot quicker to apply and remove.