Detailers first time - best kit to buy

Spacecowboy

Reaction score
Hi all

Really getting into this detailing lark. So much info though - where do i start?

Can someone detail (no pun intended) a list of a good:

Budget set up kit
Intermediate kit
Professional kit

Just to get me started!

A better bet is for you to tell us more about your car, and then let us list out a kit and a routine for you that will suit your budget and preferences for the look of the paint. Tell us about the colour of the car, the general condition of the paint and whether you want to work by hand or machine and we can take it from there. :icon_thumright:

Thread highjack

OK, i'll start
Ebony black S3, some swirl marks, a coulpe of light scratches, and I would want to work by hand.
I already have Meguirs Gold Class shampoo, clay bar and gold class wax. What should I be looking at now?
I thought about some of the poorboys polish as it can be applied in sunlight and is still easy to get off. Any suggestions?

If you choose to work by hand, you've no chance or removing the defects properly, so often the best bet is to use a glaze like Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze or Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish to fill and hide the defects, and then seal the finish with a decent wax or sealant (to boost the gloss and lock in the fillers). Gold Class Wax isn't great in this respect as it contains polishing particles (that's the white powder you get when you buff it off), which tend to remove glazes. I would recommend switching to either Poorboys Natty's Blue paste wax or one of the Blackfire waxes depending on the glaze you choose - Natty's Blue is great over the Menzerna glaze, while Blackfire gear is best used as a single brand system. :)