Deal Done on New S3 Saloon - A few questions

Ad72

Reaction score
Finalised the figures today with my local dealer, after the confusion of the quote being for an S3 Saloon not an S3 black edition Saloon!

So the final spec that keeps it a just under £40k (I think) is

S3 Saloon Black edition
S-Tronic
Ibis White
5 arm 19" wheels
Supersport grey seats
Extended leather pack
Auto dimming mirror
Rear parking sensors

The configurator is showing the Recommended on The Road price as £39,980 which I assume includes first years tax. As I understand the first years tax is currently at £185 will be included in this price but does not count towards the list price for the £40k tax threshold so list price is £39,795 at point of order, am I correct? First years tax will increase to £500 after April 1st but the yearly road tax will be £140.

The final bit to sort is the delivery date as the system is currently not able to schedule a build date, does any one have any idea what the current wait is?

Reactions: richinsoton, Daveotto, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I think you need to get the dealer to guarantee this and not ask people on here.

The car sounds fantastic.

I think you need to get the dealer to guarantee this and not ask people on here.

The car sounds fantastic.

Thanks

They have (kind of) but I trust people on here more!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KenL
Get it in writing!

Reactions: Ad72
The list price for the £40,000 tax threshold is calculated the day before registration and tax

£480, but personally and to be honest l would not spec a car with this constraint, of which l am going to have to live with for 3 years plus,the road tax increase will come to us all

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
I was getting a quote for similar on Sunday and the salesman told me that the tax needed to be added to see if under the 40K threshold. To be honest it didn't sound right but I didn't bother arguing as the deal wasn't good enough anyway.

I added every thing I want but didn't want to go over a few quid on something I didn't really need (like folding mirrors) and end up paying over £1000 in road tax. I'm sure things will become clearer after April 1st and I still have plenty of time to change the spec any way.

Reactions: KenL, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I was getting a quote for similar on Sunday and the salesman told me that the tax needed to be added to see if under the 40K threshold. To be honest it didn't sound right but I didn't bother arguing as the deal wasn't good enough anyway.

Great deals on Audi S3's......are thin on the ground at the moment and rightly so.....because big discounts **** up residuals and coming from selling your RS3,you should know all about this

Reactions: hood
Tax and first registration fee do not count towards the list price. This is the email I had from DVLA to confirm what is and isn't included.

If your new car is registered on or after the 1 April 2017 it will fall under the new car tax rules.

The list price is the manufacturers quoted price for the vehicle the day before the vehicle is first registered. It is not the list price at the point of ordering.

It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence.

It's important to note that the manufacturers list price is the price before any incentives or discounts so may not be what is paid for the vehicle.

I hope that helps let me know if you need any more information

Helen
Helen Jones
Service Designer - First Registration & VED Reform Project
Vehicle Services | D14 West | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
GTN 1213 Ext. 88775
(01792) 78 8775

Reactions: mister.c., richinsoton, Daveotto and 2 others
Great deals on Audi S3's......are thin on the ground at the moment and rightly so.....because big discounts **** up residuals and coming from selling your RS3,you should know all about this

Up here they are thin on the ground.
Sales guy at Stirling Audi talking so much BS on Sunday saying there were hardly any A3s and that Audi must be cutting back because they had sold too many(I nearly fell off the seat).
He then quoted with the £700 dealership contribution and asked how that sounded.
I had to point out Audi Aberdeen were doing a £3200 contribution on the same car!
They are very thin on the ground though as I've been trying to source a S3SB black edition stronic asap.
Think Ive nailed one though and stuck a deposit on a tango red one. 4.5K discount through a broker I got my RS3 off.
Its at German docks at the moment so hopefully not too long.
It will do me until the new RS3 comes out then have a look at that.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, ScottG, AudiNutta and 3 others
Tax and first registration fee do not count towards the list price. This is the email I had from DVLA to confirm what is and isn't included.

If your new car is registered on or after the 1 April 2017 it will fall under the new car tax rules.

The list price is the manufacturers quoted price for the vehicle the day before the vehicle is first registered. It is not the list price at the point of ordering.

It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence.

It's important to note that the manufacturers list price is the price before any incentives or discounts so may not be what is paid for the vehicle.

I hope that helps let me know if you need any more information

Helen
Helen Jones
Service Designer - First Registration & VED Reform Project
Vehicle Services | D14 West | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
GTN 1213 Ext. 88775
(01792) 78 8775
Excellent, thanks for posting. So in my case the list price is £39,980 less £55 reg fee and £185 tax so £39,740. Only danger is an increase in list price before registration day. Not sure I'm happy with this, a few could get caught out.

Sales guy at Stirling Audi talking so much BS on Sunday saying there were hardly any A3s and that Audi must be cutting back because they had sold too many(I nearly fell off the seat).
He then quoted with the £700 dealership contribution and asked how that sounded.
I had to point out Audi Aberdeen were doing a £3200 contribution on the same car!
They are very thin on the ground though as I've been trying to source a S3SB black edition stronic asap.
Think Ive nailed one though and stuck a deposit on a tango red one. 4.5K discount through a broker I got my RS3 off.
It will do me until the new RS3 comes out then have a look at that.

Why didnt you say mate,l could have given you my sons number...sure he could have sorted you a better deal?

Reactions: hood
@Ad72 good to see you got yours sorted, my spec is sorted but got to haggle a bit with the dealer tomorrow as an extra £300 has been added to the deposit agreed with the broker. Hopefully will pay the deposit tomorrow and we will be on the same build/delivery time frame.

Got my OTR price to within a whisker of £3800 which was significant as that was the size of my first mortgage........30 years ago!!!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06
@Ad72 good to see you got yours sorted, my spec is sorted but got to haggle a bit with the dealer tomorrow as an extra £300 has been added to the deposit agreed with the broker. Hopefully will pay the deposit tomorrow and we will be on the same build/delivery time frame.

Got my OTR price to within a whisker of £3800 which was significant as that was the size of my first mortgage........30 years ago!!!!!

Excellent news, should get my order number and build date tomorrow, funny how our cars now cost more than our first house!! Dealers are full of surprises, mine took the Black Edition bit off my order. I'll be keeping a close eye on list prices before mine goes into build.

Why didnt you say mate,l could have given you my sons number...sure he could have sorted you a better deal?

when I phoned Glasgow there wasn't any available for a good few weeks and I'm carless just now.
I'll keep it in mind for a big discount on an RS3 when they appear lol.
I might even get you a pint!

Dealers are full of surprises, mine took the Black Edition bit off my order

check, double check and check again, then get the head salesman to check, then get the dealership principal to check it again!!!!......past experience was painful with a happy ending...search interior light pack if you want the story of my first S3 order which is well documented on here!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same question today with my dealer and he confirmed that even if my car is not registered before Apr (it's under £40k anyway) that the £500 first year rate would be covered by them and not me.

Buyer beware then!

The way this reads to me is that if you were to order a car today at just under £40k and then wait 3 months for delivery. Then Audi decide a price rise is due before delivery, your purchase price won't be affected but the road tax is going to be calculated on the increased list price. Meaning you may end up paying the higher road tax, it's a bit of a leap in the dark IMHO not knowing what bracket you would pay until day of collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buyer beware then!

The way this reads to me is that if you were to order a car today at just under £40k and then wait 3 months for delivery. Then Audi decide a price rise is due before delivery, your purchase price won't be affected but the road tax is going to be calculated on the increased list price. Meaning you may end up paying the higher road tax, it's a bit of a leap in the dark IMHO not knowing what bracket you would pay until day of collection.

Exactly and it's making me nervous!

Reactions: BarryG79
Well, still no order number or build week available as the system is not allowing any more S3 orders to be placed. Have been promised this info buy the end of the week so I wait with baited breath......will I be getting an S3?

It will do me until the new RS3 comes out then have a look at that.[/QUOTE

Funnily enough I’ve just had exactly the same experience with Stirling Audi - They can’t compete with Aberdeen.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Stirling Audi is under Lookers Plc ie so is Glasgow Audi . .... They're not known for their generous discounts, but again a member on here got around 13% off a factory ordered S3 last May

As stated above, the figure used is the P11D value which is what's used for all tax calculations. Company car drivers know all about this document.

Includes VAT and all delivery charges but not the registration fee or first year's tax.

The saloon is so close to the threshold that adding any significant options to it will bust you through it. I just resigned myself to joining the £450 club :(

£450 per year just ‘sounds’ crazy though doesn’t it for a £40k car road tax.

I don’t think I could bring myself to pay it.
I only pay £280 per year for the RS3.
I know it’s only another £170 but it’s the principle & £450 per year is just too much.
It takes the pi** too when you consider how shocking & pot hole ridden the roads are ... where is this extra money going ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bells, oli356 and Tom.H
£450 per year just ‘sounds’ crazy though doesn’t it fit a £40k car road tax.

I don’t think I could bring myself to pay it.
I only pay £280 per year for the RS3.
I know it’s inky another £170 but it’s the principle & £450 per year is just too much.
It takes the pi** too when you consider how shocking & pot hole ridden the roads are ... where is this extra money going ?
I agree, £140 if your car was under £40k, but if it's just over that they want another £310 on top for 5 years from the second time the vehicle is taxed!!!

Anyone going over the £40k by adding options may as well go wayyy over it! otherwise you'd end up with two cars for sale with the same miles, reg and virtually the same spec, but one cost just under £40k new and one just over £40k as the first owner added a cheap £300 option, so their cheap option will now cost the new owner £310 a year more to tax....that would be a very expensive 'cheap' option if they bought the car 1-2 years old :p

Reactions: Tom.H and Snake Pliskin
I agree, £140 if your car was under £40k, but if it's just over that they want another £310 on top for 5 years from the second time the vehicle is taxed!!!

It's a disgrace - basically "you can obviously afford it so we're going to stiff you"

Anyone going over the £40k by adding options may as well go wayyy over it!

That was my attitude. I'd have been able to spec so few options on an S3 saloon and stay under the limit that I decided I may as well break it in style. P11D value on mine is circa £42k

Reactions: S32B
It is what it is though and there's no point even debating about it..... Fact of life now and it doesn't bother me as l can get my money back off the tax man in another way, and yes l agree about going well over spec if you can afford it, also l have noticed this year there ain't the usual mass influx of new S3 owners like there is normally to this forum???

Reactions: T-800
It is what it is though and there's no point even debating about it..... Fact of life now and it doesn't bother me as l can get my money back off the tax man in another way, and yes l agree about going well over spec if you can afford it, also l have noticed this year there ain't the usual mass influx of new S3 owners like there is normally to this forum???

There are two sides of the coin though mate.

It’s not all about affording it, it’s about how much money you lose on depreciation too.

If you spec a S3 to say £45k there aren’t that many extras that add to the residual value if the car. As far as I’m aware, the Dealers just go on the basic RRP when calculating your trade in price - even a private sale to a degree.

So we’re losing on £thousands of extras ‘plus’ the extra tax ... it’s all adding up :blink:

There are two sides of the coin though mate.

It’s not all about affording it, it’s about how much money you lose on depreciation too.

If you spec a S3 to say £45k there aren’t that many extras that add to the residual value if the car. As far as I’m aware, the Dealers just go on the basic RRP when calculating your trade in price - even a private sale to a degree.

So we’re losing on £thousands of extras ‘plus’ the extra tax ... it’s all adding up :blink:

I ain't ****** loaded mate far from it, but in my experience of buying cars, is that l don't trade it back into them, so l save a few thousand by doing so, besides all of that the all new S3 your waiting on so patiently will sadly fall automatically into this higher road tax bracket, the only way to avoid this is to buy a lowered powered Audi and add a good few options, l couldn't live without my options mate l love em, so l may end up buying a lowered powered car with lots of options the next time.....but the car l have just will be hard to beat and like yourself l may have to hold on to it longer than usual, so extras make that easier

Reactions: T-800 and Snake Pliskin
I ain't ****** loaded mate far from it, but in my experience of buying cars, is that l don't trade it back into them, so l save a few thousand by doing so, besides all of that the all new S3 your waiting on so patiently will sadly fall automatically into this higher road tax bracket, the only way to avoid this is to buy a lowered powered Audi and add a good few options, l couldn't live without my options mate l love em, so l may end up buying a lowered powered car with lots of options the next time.....but the car l have just will be hard to beat and like yourself l may have to hold on to it longer than usual, so extras make that easier

Yeah if you keep a car 3 to 5 years then totally agree on the extras & that reduces your rate of depreciation :icon thumright:

Yeah I’m not sure where the new S3 will sit against the £40k tax threshold ... but I do think Audi’s & the other car brands bubbles have burst in terms of year on year price increases & people queuing up to buy cars.

I’ve been bombarded this year by Audi & my Dealer ‘chasing orders’ ... never had that before & I think others have too. So I think they’ve pushed prices to the limit now imo.

Yeah if you keep a car 3 to 5 years then totally agree on the extras & that reduces your rate of depreciation :icon thumright:

Yeah I’m not sure where the new S3 will sit against the £40k tax threshold ... but I do think Audi’s & the other car brands bubbles have burst in terms of year on year price increases & people queuing up to buy cars.

I’ve been bombarded this year by Audi & my Dealer ‘chasing orders’ ... never had that before & I think others have too. So I think they’ve pushed prices to the limit now imo.
The list price of my car was more than the RS3 I was wanting to change to 2 years ago and that had a awesome spec and exclusive paint
DSC 0362

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
A3 seems to have shot up in price since I got mine 18 months ago.

I may well move on next year. New A1 is on the radar, back to MINI, or an Up GTI!

I may well move on next year. New A1 is on the radar, back to MINI, or an Up GTI!

Mini *** have you seen the prices for them no way would l give them the money for a new one, a used/nearly new one yeah

Mini *** have you seen the prices for them no way would l give them the money for a new one, a used/nearly new one yeah

I've had 5 of them! Great cars. List price steep but deals to be had on them now.

I've had 5 of them! Great cars. List price steep but deals to be had on them now.
5.....!!!!!!! that's what l call serial car brand buying, l would love a go in a jcw. . Mind you l think my son sells them now n again lol

I had an S1 loaner for the day on Friday, My son's old Mini R56 Cooper was a better drive, more fun and a nicer place to be.

The new Polo GTi Plus looks nice:

S0-volkswagen-polo-gti-encore-plus-enervee-en-direct-du-salon-de-francfort-2017-529696.jpg