Dead LED in rear light

DickoB8

A6 Avant Black Edition
Reaction score
I have a dead LED in my drivers side rear light which is sending my OCD nuts! Reading online it’s not a simple fix and a new inner light part is needed. Before I head to the dealers does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced one? It seems to be a common thing on the B8’s so hoping someone can help me.

Dead LED:

Thanks in advance

Nick

Feel you. Had same with mines on A6 but they were half dead.

I've split open the lamp using heat gun and got to the leds on the tape. Re-soldered the resistors and 3 out of 4 dull ones started to work in full. The fourth one managed to damage somehow and 5 in a row gone dead.
Now have half of the cluster only working.

You can pick these lamps up from donor cars on breaker yards. Ebay would be good. You won't spend the fortune and it will blend it with the car, as it's used.

A set of both tailgate mines found for £130 from a German supplier. Valeo product and with warranty. Also, buying from fleeBay, you're still protected and not paying stealers monies

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Had same on my previous b8 new unit am afraid try ebay. I was lucky got full set off guy locally on gumtree £40.

Thanks for the reply I definitely won’t be splitting a light I don’t have the balls for that :D I’ll check eBay for a replacement I’ll see if I can get the part number of the of inner section today

Did you replace the full light or just the internals?
Whole light cluster. They usually sealed units and would require opening up to replace internals. Cost for that could be bigger than 2nd hand unit.
Not to mention, to get it right and seal again when assembling back together

Reactions: DickoB8
The so called “dead led” is now working but another one is now out!? Anyone else had this?

(Previously was a more central bulb but now an end bulb)

Your first picture show two leds off actually.
Have you checked connectors for corrosion?
To me it looks like cold solder on the led or resistor

Reactions: DickoB8