Dashboard cleaning nightmare

pierreluigi88

Reaction score
Ok, I've done something really stupid. I know it was stupid, but before I make the situation even worse, can anyone offer any advice?

I took the car into the dealer the other day and put one of the "do not wash" signs on the dash. So that it didn't get taken off, I fixed the sign on with masking tape. When I took the masking tape off, it had left sticky marks behind. I tried a clean damp cloth but that didn't work, so I thought "what removes sticky marks from plastic?"....Isopropyl alcohol. Yes I know, I am SO p****d off with myself. Anyway it has turned the dash slightly shiny where I've used it, against the matte finish. It's hardly noticeable and you can only see it in certain light, but it's going to drive me mad.

I went to bed last night thinking at least I can just replace that part of the dash, as it looks like it's made up of different pieces (it's the section above the glove box where the airbag is), but looking on a parts website it's actually all one piece so that plan isn't going to work.

I am genuinely so embarrassed to the point that I don't even know whether to post this, but it would be silly of me not to draw on the collective experience that you guys have, so please help!!

Reactions: Keef
@pierreluigi88 dude I feel your pain!
We've all done daft things so no shame there.
Like you say best to focus on the fix rather than beating yourself up.
I can't offer a solution (but I'm sure some of the detaling gurus will be able to help) but just wanted to chip in for moral support!
Hope it gets sorted.

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and Kestrel
Cheers @Keef - some moral support means a lot right now. I know it's only a car, but this is really playing on my mind!

Reactions: Keef
Some gentle solvent for sure , maybe a furniture polish , Mr Sheen etc , then to get the shine off , a damp cloth .

Reactions: pierreluigi88
It would have just taken the oils off. I'd go over the whoke thing with a trim cleaner then buff off to make it matt. I actually use gtechniq t2 tyre stuff

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We should start a thread. "Stupid things you did in your B9" - I would have most posts!

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and cuke2u
I find this stuff pretty good
Upload 2017 3 24 11 54 6

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think as @DeanoC suggested, I've stripped something away with the alcohol, so the shine isn't something I can clean off. I don't think I've melted the plastic however, just taken the very top bit off as would probably happen over time anyway. It's just uneven the way I've done it.

I'm going to try some matte dashboard cleaner to see if that evens it out, if not I might have to live with it.

Fingers crossed!

I would use a apc diluted with water so clean the whole dash then spray on a interior dressing like ODK Cabin and see if it isnt as noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk