DAB Performance

ERBY

Supercharged Member
Reaction score
My DAB radio service is often cutting out intermittently and so is somewhat unreliable compared to good 'ole FM (Mate!)
My colleagues BMW system does not suffer the same gripes as mine so was wondering if this is a common complaint (or not)
Thanks.

My DAB radio service is often cutting out intermittently and so is somewhat unreliable compared to good 'ole FM (Mate!)
My colleagues BMW system does not suffer the same gripes as mine so was wondering if this is a common complaint (or not)
Thanks.

I've got DAB and it only works properly if i'm standing still, the moment I start moving for any length of time it starts to cut out:banghead:
I've gone back to Fm, what a joke.

Mines pretty good down south. Although does cut out in places were FM would also start to crackle.
Much better choice of stations too.

It all depends on the signal strength at the time your moving...imagine a mobile version of sky holding signals bound to drop...mine does it in built up areas from time to time. ..I'm getting use to when it cuts out...lol

You can't knock it for the amount of stations. It must be a Shropshire thing, just need to catch up...lol ;)

Mines ok, a couple of black spots sometimes when the signal distorts but generally good signal strength.

I thought it may be a location issue but as I said a friend of mine doesn't have the same issues...as mentioned with so much choice I think I can live with the 'blips' in service - cheers for the input.

Yep, mine sometimes drops out; always in the same location(s) but its pretty rare - am on the south coast. The stereo tries to compensate by automatically tuning to the same station on FM and back again to DAB when it picks up the signal again, but due to the time delay between FM and DAB it ends up in a weird repeating loop!

The DAB set up is a bit weedy on the Audi's and seems susceptible to noise. Even cheapo phone chargers can affect the signal. I believe the aerial doesn't help either. The one in the back screen of my car is horizontal which is fine for German DAB, but in the UK our signal is vertically polarised so the signal is reduced to start with. I love the DAB and I would find it hard to go back to FM.

Coverage in the the SW is okish but the Audi radio is a bit worse than the one I had in my Mecedes so does drop out a fair bit. DAB is a bit mixed Planet Rock transmits in mono!!!

Planet Rock in mono....Now that is a crime!:thrashi:

I can't fault mine on a number of stations (R2, PlntRck, Absolute etc.) and I'm located in rural Norfolk, never missed a beat..........goodbye FM.

My mate has a T5 transporter with the Kenwood SatNav/DAB and he can't get a thing.

Fm is generally much better quality so throw it away yet!

I disagree, I now exclusively listen to DAB (home, office and both cars (Audi & BMW), far better quality.

It is the 21st century after all lol

Is there a difference between standard Audi audio and B&O audio do you think, mine is B&O. The BMW is Logic7 which is also an upgrade.

Sorry but factually incorrect, some stations Radio3 and classic FM do transmit in good quality others such as Planet Rock and Team Rock to name just 2 are very poor and in mono - if you like mono fine ;-)

DAB is fine in my Avant, not as good in friends new A6 saloon, bigger aerial in Avant :tears of joy:

Yep, mine sometimes drops out; always in the same location(s) but its pretty rare - am on the south coast. The stereo tries to compensate by automatically tuning to the same station on FM and back again to DAB when it picks up the signal again, but due to the time delay between FM and DAB it ends up in a weird repeating loop!
That used to bug the hell out of me so I turned it off!