Cylinder head work ( Gas flowed, polished+ Ported )

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
Lets see them

Going to get another engine for the S3 to rebuild and put in when done but keep the car running with the original engine.

I've done lots of head work before on Fords, Vauxhalls, some VW's and others makes as the list is endless but not yet on a 20v

Be shown how to do it from friends thats works in motorsport and tuning over the last 10 years.

If you have post size, specs, volumes etc etc that would help me out just to get started until i get access to a friends flowbench 110.

Think this has been mentioned a couple of times and think the general conclusion was, wasnt worth it, or the gains to cost wasnt worth it. Dont quote me th6ugh.

Think this has been mentioned a couple of times and think the general conclusion was, wasnt worth it, or the gains to cost wasnt worth it. Dont quote me th6ugh.

I will!!;)

That's always been my belief as well - although though I've never done it on a 20V before, just what I've read on numerous VAG forums. Done it on plenty of 8 & 16V Golfs and even a VR6 (which hurt the wallet) with pretty good results - but for me it's not the thing I would start with on a build of these cars - sort of thing I'd do on the 2nd round of mods when you're trying to improve on what you've already done, trying to squeeze that last bit out!

Save your money...
Just turn the boost up a bit.

On NA cars it makes sense...but on a turbo?
No point...on a road car, you just tweak the boost slightly and you'll see more gain than you'd have got from porting the head.

By all means take the rough edges and casting marks off the TB and boost pipework to make the airflow as smooth as possible...but it just isn't worth porting the head.

You'd be better off spending the time in working out a better, more efficient intercooler set-up.

depends on where you are headed with the rest of the spec of the engine..
if high power bigger turbo's is in the game plan at some point, then porting to aid airflow will help you.. if k0x turbo, then dont expect anything magical or descernable at all.

Whether it costs you anything or not...if using a Ko4 it'll gain you little as the turbo just can't move enough air to make use of the higher flowing head.
It's that simple...
You may pick up a few BHP...you may not.

As Bill says...unless you are going for big power, and using a bit turbo, you'll just not get much from it.

You could see if you can get any more flow through the standard K04 turbo manifold though!
That's a restriction for sure...maybe opening up the castings ports and looking at that side of the head would give you something meaningful...the ports are TINY!