Custom charges

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Anyone else been stung by customs from ordering parts from Europe from companies like AUTODOC?
I just got stung £90 for a £310 item.

Anything I've bought from EU suppliers I haven't had to pay anything.

Reactions: AlS3BE
I have been buying stuff since post brexit but this time is the first I’ve been charged.
last order was well over £400 a few months back.

If it's below £135 then it's generally not subject, above, you'll get hit for vat, import etc.

I was looking at a set of alloys from a supplier in Germany on eBay: I was all set to buy them when the seller reminded me I would incur 20% import duty on the stated price, post BREXIT. That rather put me off.

And admin charge by courier!!
While not related to cars, the admin fee, in this case Royal Mail who handled an order of mine from aliexperess for some mechanical keyboard parts that totalled in excess of £130, was £8. Correct me if i'm wrong of course regarding car parts. It's not too high in comparison to that 20% sting.

The post Brexit importation rules, only changed for anything imported from Europe. There has been no rule changes for ROW imports.

TBH, it’s a bit of a minefield.
You could be stung for:
  • Duty, which is variable % of declared value, depending on the customs classification of what’s being imported
  • UK VAT
  • Shippers administration fee (which is set by the shipper, and payable by the purchaser- usually as a ‘customs release fee’
The VAT is paid by the seller, if below a certain £ value, and can be incorporated in the selling price.

If it’s above a minimum value (cant remember the actual £ value, but you can Google) then the whole collection process of VAT and UK Duty, is passed onto the company shipping the product to the UK - which is where the Shippers Admin fee also kicks in.

Having said all that, there is also a reasonable chance that you won’t get changed anything, as Customs are short staffed and overworked, like a lot of Gov departments. I’ve had a few things come in (from outside of Europe) that have been delivered with no additional costs invoiced.

On the other hand, if your seller deliberately undervalues the value of any contents, you could loose the lot, and be fined as well.

You takes your chance etc…. :hi:

The post Brexit importation rules, only changed for anything imported from Europe. There has been no rule changes for ROW imports.

TBH, it’s a bit of a minefield.
You could be stung for:
  • Duty, which is variable % of declared value, depending on the customs classification of what’s being imported
  • UK VAT
  • Shippers administration fee (which is set by the shipper, and payable by the purchaser- usually as a ‘customs release fee’
The VAT is paid by the seller, if below a certain £ value, and can be incorporated in the selling price.

If it’s above a minimum value (cant remember the actual £ value, but you can Google) then the whole collection process of VAT and UK Duty, is passed onto the company shipping the product to the UK - which is where the Shippers Admin fee also kicks in.

Having said all that, there is also a reasonable chance that you won’t get changed anything, as Customs are short staffed and overworked, like a lot of Gov departments. I’ve had a few things come in (from outside of Europe) that have been delivered with no additional costs invoiced.

On the other hand, if your seller deliberately undervalues the value of any contents, you could loose the lot, and be fined as well.

You takes your chance etc…. :hi:

guess I’ve been unlucky this time or lucky last time 2 months ago.
£28 parcel force fee and £61ish for the customs so roughly 20% or vat rate I was charged

Reactions: RAF_S7