Creaking

joinerman

Reaction score
Since this cold weather my 54 plate 1.9 tdi quattro has an awful lot of creaking & cracking from the front, i assume suspension, it's not done a 1000 miles since mot so it can't be anything serious i wouldn't have thought.

Cold weather and all the grit they put on the road doesn't do the rubber bushes any favours, notoriously difficult to pinpoint where it could be coming from. Does it happen in a particular way, ie turning right or left?
I have a creaking noise when coming to a stop, I suspect the strut top mount was damaged when I hit a pothole and burst the tyre. I haven't got round to doing that yet even though I have the part to hand.

If its anything like the creaking i had on my 04 1.9tdi quattro it turned out to be the o/s upper suspension arm inner bushes split, unfortunately removing them can be a right pain if the upper control arm pinch bolt is seized, mine was totally seized and i ended up drilling out both sides (it can be done with care )and replacing the bolt, the creaking drove me mad and was not easy to diagnose and hard to see without dismantling, hope this helps.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Mine does it when slowly turning right or left going forward or in reverse & coming slowly to a stop, doing my head in.

yes i think mine did, drove me mad, it was awkward to find see for a start what was causing it, finally i removed the front shocker assembly with upper arms attached and from what i can remember one of the two top control arm bushes had slightly moved as though it was being pushed out and was catching aginst the top mount assembly causing the creak, i replaced both top control arms both sides of the car and the creak was gone, joy!!!, what made it more of a job was the top pinch bolt seized, i thought it was this causing the creaking but it wasnt, was a bit of a job to drill out and if you do have to revert to this take your time, drill straight and use sharp drills drilling slowly and lubricate with some oil, last thing you want is the drill breaking, , i did not use the expensive oe pinch bolt (£13) or more but used a imperial size equivilant, cant quite remember the actual size offhand but have a spare in the shed what i can measure for you if need be, used these replacement bolts on my b5 and b6 with no problems, let me know if you need the size and il measure, cheers, andy