1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Help Please Creaking/Knocking Sound

pavarley Sep 18, 2020

1. pavarley

pavarley New Member

My A4 has recently developed a creaking, almost knocking noise coming from the drivers side B-pillar area, towards the lower end (Seatbelt pillar) - More noticeable on braking & lower speeds & after driving for some time, it has slowly gotten worse over the last few months. I have taken off the trim, and everything seems secure .

I originally took it into the garage to look at, but as the sound is only apparent when it has been driven for a little while they couldn't diagnose it.

Any ideas?

I can try and take a video or record the noise if that helps.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Eldeano2

Eldeano2 Registered User

I think it might be a good idea to take a video with the sound on it, someone may recognise it and be able to offer advice. Are you sure it's coming from the area you say and not suspension which may be creaking? Good luck in sorting it.

4. pavarley

pavarley New Member

Managed to capture some of it on video! Video here

I don't think it;s the suspension, sounds like its coming from the pillar area, down near the bottom.

5. cashutt

cashutt Registered User

I sometimes get a similar noise from near the drivers door. On some cars the rubber door seals creak as the car body flexes. You could try spraying a little silicone grease or wd40 on a cloth and wipe round the door rubber.
    I haven’t yet tried this but it’s on my list of jobs todo!

Eldeano2 likes this.
  6. pavarley

pavarley New Member

It sounds more like metal on metal creaking, perhaps a loose bracket somewhere (No idea, not very mechanically minded) Will certainly give your suggestion a go though, thanks!

Eldeano2 likes this.