Couple of minor issues on S3 ready for MOT

Gib

Reaction score
Hello I have had a search but everything I've done doesn't work.

First off the headlight washers, I have checked the fuse's and pulled out the washers to make sure they slide freely but still they don't work. So unless the motor has packed up?

Second the headlight auto levelling. When I fire the car car up the headlights are at a 'normal' height but as soon as I start driving the drivers side drops to where you can't see the road in front of you! I have manually adjusted it but still doesn't work. Will the auto levelling sensor be broken or need adjusting? as the rear one has been off as the Tie arms have been replaced a few months ago.

Many thanks

I hd the same issue with my headlight washers. They are just activated with water pressure. I found the previous owner had botched a bolt in to the washer output at the pump

Hopefully the MOT center I usually use is kind and passes it as I haven't got enough time to fix it just yet. Going to have to remove the bumper and have a good check of everything. Also tried topping up the washer reservoir as someone said they won't work with it nearly empty.

As a temporary fix for the mot you can always disconnect the motors for the auto-levelling once it's at the right level until you figure out what's causing it.

iirc you have to hold the washers on for 5 or so seconds with the lights on for the washers to work.

mark

tbh I will just leave it for the time being and when I have time remove the bumper and have a good look at the motor etc...

Have another issue at the mo... for some reason when you press the AUTO on climate control and put it on the HI setting. Its slowly gets warm but the blower doesn't blow from the vents anymore?! just the windscreen and feet vents. Also the car temp doesn't seem to stay at 90 degrees. It hardly moves off the needle!

By temp I assume you mean the temp gauge on the dash?... this is typically down to a faulty coolant temp sensor (CTS) and/or thermostat...

As for the climate control... not sure why you would need to stick it on 'Hi' in the first place unless its -50 degrees where you are as the whole point of climate control is you set it to a comfortable temperature and the climate control maintains it no matter what...

Scanning for fault codes on the HVAC module might give some clues but I suspect its part of the logic built into the climate unit so when on 'Hi' then don't use vents that could melt your face off but use the vents that will warm the car.. the 'Auto' button and turning the temp to 'Hi' should automatically maintain enough heat in the car to cook a chicken :)

<tuffty/>

Its the mrs who ALWAYS put it on the highest setting possible when its called.... instead of doing the easiest thing and wrapping up warmer!
Should have stated its even at a lower temp it doesn't blow through the dash vents. It used too - if you press the dash vent button so it just blows from there, its works but not on the auto setting. I was wondering if there was a fault with a sensor faulty or broken - Is there one for the climate control

If there is a faulty sensor or flap mech then there should be a fault code... scan with VCDS should be the on the list of things to try..

I know what you mean about the missus... mine was the same when she borrowed my old A4... didn't get the concept of climate control at all and would always turn heat to Hi then complain it was too hot then turn it right down an moan she was freezing... at which point.. (you've guessed it!!) she turns it back up to Hi again!!!

Women!... can't live with them, can't shoot them....

<tuffty/>

Reactions: vivalacoulter
replacing both thermostat and engine coolant sensor both cheap parts so will see i that causes any changes.

Can you buy good versions of VagCom?

You can buy a cheap eBay cable and use Ross tech lite version, or buy a genuine Ross tech cable and get the full version