1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consumes too much diesel

Tariq Khan Sep 28, 2018

1. Tariq Khan

Tariq Khan New Member

Hi,

I have recently brought a beautiful 2010 Audi A6 Le Mans 170 diesel 2.0 tdi. The fuel consumption is averaging at between 20mpg-25mpg. I have just had it serviced so I will have to wait to see what improvements I will gain but it is still averaging the same. Audi state that I should be getting 39mpg. Can I have some advice on what I should do or why the average is so low. I am currently getting 30-35 miles per £10.

I look forward to your replies.

Teekay

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. smog c6

smog c6 New Member

What sort of driving, it’s about right for stop start cold engine. If you live in city and do less than 10 miles and it’s all traffic you will get 25 mpg. Motorway should be high 40’s sticking to 70mph. Post average speed up.

4. Tariq Khan

Tariq Khan New Member

Hi Smog c6,

Thank you for your reply. My average speed is about 6mph and my c6 is not a stop start. It is a audi a6 le mans 170 2010 2.0 tdi. I am averaging at 21.7mpg.

5. smog c6

smog c6 New Member

Yeah, 20-25 seems about right with an average of 6mph. I meant “Stop Start” traffic not engine. Good idea to change fuel filter as I’ve seen mpg go up on mine by 3-4mpg after changing it.

What did you drive before this.

Problem with an a6 is it’s a heavy car. it’s like driving a golf with an extra 400kg. If you weigh them they are usually around 1750-1900kg.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. Tariq Khan

Tariq Khan New Member

Hi Smog c6,
    I had a 1.4 hyundai i30, so yes I was expecting a difference. I just thought that because it states a combined 39mpg on my model that there might be something wrong. I brought this beauty with no service book, I have had a big service and changed all pads and rear discs. Would you advise on a cam belt change, keeping in mind that the car runs smoothly. Also, I have been quoted from the mechanic for £480 this is genuine parts fitted (this mechanic is not approved as he has opened his own garage but was working for a approved dealership for some years prior to this).

Look forward to your reply.