confusing insurance company!!

eddwood

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with this please?

I have contacted Elephant.co.uk for a car insurance quote and because of my recent total loss they appear to be the cheapest at £1270.00 by some £1000.00.
However, as you never get anything for nothing I looked at the T&C's and come across this..

We will not pay for:
for any modifications unless they form part of the manufacturer's standard specification. See also Extra Conditions (endorsement 11).

11. Standard parts replacement

elephant.co.uk does not cover any non standard parts (modifications), or anything which alters the performance of your car.
If you make a claim for loss or damage to your car, we will only pay the cost of replacing parts needed for the car to meet the manufacturer's standard specification.

I telephoned Elephant to explain and was even more confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My new A3 when it comes with DSG, SATnav etc etc has a list of £30k yet the standard version is £25k.

Elephant said for example if my car was stolen they would replace it like for like but if I had an accident and amongst over damage also damaged the side skirts they would only repair the car to it's standard spec, not covering the skirts! Am I not paying extra insurance because these are fitted but they won't repair them if damaged?

The same applies to any other 'non standard' although factory fitted mods.

Why am I confused, well they say they will replace the car like for like even though the T&C's under stolen cars still mentions 'Standard spec', yet if some of this non standard spec is stolen they won't pay even though your paying extra for the non standard spec....

now I am really confusing myself...somebody help........ Am I being shafted by elephant or is this pretty much normal?

Edd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dude ...im with elephant...and had a right nightmare at the start with them not knowing exactly what they are talking about...etc and buggering up my quote and charging...anyway ring them back and speak to a team leader or someone in charge as you like me spoke to someone who might not know their job inside out....good luck dude

It sucks that they feel they can charge you more for mods, ye4t if stolen/broke, wont replace them. Why charge more in this case?

Rich

insurance: what's right for one person on one day ain't for another on the same day! it sucks, but you gotta be thorough with it - call em and call em!! play them against others! I went with Admiral (who own elephant) in the end, as they were much better than the others for me personally. when it's up for renewal I'll be shopping around again - mark my words!

if in doubt, call them and make sure - you could be really arsey and tell them you are recording the call (just like they do - I'd love to do that to one of them one day! hehehehehe)