Common 2.0tdi oil leaks?

Bbflex

Reaction score
is there common oil leaks? I’ve cleaned the engine then checked, looked to be coming from the oil filter housing to block gasket, replaced the gasket that was also smeared with gasket goo so I thought it was promising.

Set the injector back lash so replaced the rocker cover gasket too, back of the head looks dry including the tandem pump area, it looks dry by the oil filter housing now but I still have a leak by the looks of it.

Are rear main seals common?

Thanks.

Currently got a small leak looking as though it's coming from the anti shudder valve - keeping a close eye. Mines a 170 2.0tdi at 86k

Thanks for the reply.

Mine is a BRE in a c6 (c6 section is very quiet), my first anti shudder valve was full of oil and failed, I’ve replaced it with another S/H valve and I never took this one apart before fitting but the seal has swollen out the gap in the casing like my old one, I wonder if when the seal swells it then creates a leak through the unit that allows oily vapour into the ASV and that then kills them?

Mine unfortunately looks like the rear main seal has gone, it’s properly crap because I hate leaking oil and to fix it means taking the box off which I really CBA to do at the mo, then is the fact these 2.0tdi engines need a special tool just to fit the seal correctly, I had a sorted C5 until recently with a new clutch and rear main seal might I add, and sold it just for something a bit more modern looking, I wish I kept beating the 1.9pd to death instead :haudrauf:

Well my knowledge doesn’t appear as comprehensive as yours chap... but I’ve only heard good things about the 1.9’s and mostly negative about our 2.0tdi. I’m trying to catch the issues early or ideally before (lol) they happen. My next one is replacing oil balance shaft key... which looks like a total pig.

They are a great robust engine.

The 2.0tdi’s are good engines as a whole though, I mean there is literally hundreds of thousands of them out there.

Yea the oil pump key isn’t a great job, I have to remove the sump to replace the rear main seal so may just pop another standard key in while I’m there, my car is on 140k already so another standard key will last the life of the car no doubt.

And I only have knowledge because I’m too tight to pay someone else to do it lol!

Reactions: BakPak and AvantMike
Well I finally got round to finding the oil leak, after a poke around with an inspection camera I came to the conclusion I needed to drop the gearbox, as much of a pain it was I couldn’t bare the mess it was leaving wherever I parked it.

I can safely say my oil leak wasn’t common, after removing the gearbox the bell housing looked like this...

9C50C8E1 CF68 46D1 9D3B 54C6E368897B

It looked promising at least, everything was soaked in oil...

D3797FD1 7369 48EB AE98 67F888E65023

after a bit of digging around I found the problem...

1742CE4A 2E88 42F2 AB5A E60E04EC3844

65F538D6 FC19 46CA 9B8B 9CC4F050E73E

I did the easy option first which was replace the oil filter housing gasket, and this had remnants of gasket goo on it, the only explanation I have is when they have done the oil filter housing seal they've given the crank sensor plug a real good wack that’s cracked the rear seal.

just waiting on parts now as I may as well do the clutch and flywheel whilst I’m at it, main seal also needs a special alignment tool to set it into place, then I’ll have a none leaking engine :)

Reactions: AvantMike
They are a great robust engine.

The 2.0tdi’s are good engines as a whole though, I mean there is literally hundreds of thousands of them out there.

Yea the oil pump key isn’t a great job, I have to remove the sump to replace the rear main seal so may just pop another standard key in while I’m there, my car is on 140k already so another standard key will last the life of the car no doubt.

And I only have knowledge because I’m too tight to pay someone else to do it lol!

Alot misunderstand that it's primarily a balancer shaft keyway issue .

A new key is of little use in an already worn keyway , just 15mm contact length on the very tips of the hex bar edges .

It takes just 0.5mm of wear on those edges .

Reactions: BakPak
Like I said the car has done 140k I understand your point, but bangernomics say put a £15 key in, if it lasts the time I own it great, if it doesn’t I’ll be doing the job again, as I do the work myself I can take the gamble :)