Colour screen mod for cluster

If you find someone local will take an hour or two to clone your cluster sending it of to be fitted will take longer

Reactions: warren9022
That would be a problem because I haven’t got the SKC code :tearsofjoy:. So if need to send both clusters off to get the one cloned which makes me think I might as well just send the one off to have the ColorMFA fitted!! Ever feel like you’re going round in circles.....

You can use any cluster. As long as if you are facelift you have a facelift replacement. Pre FL in FL doesn’t work.

You can pull your cluster eeprom through obd - do you have anyone nearby with vcds?

Once it’s pulled you can email the .bin to whoever it is you have doing the coding for your upgraded cluster.

You can use any cluster. As long as if you are facelift you have a facelift replacement. Pre FL in FL doesn’t work.

You can pull your cluster eeprom through obd - do you have anyone nearby with vcds?

Once it’s pulled you can email the .bin to whoever it is you have doing the coding for your upgraded cluster.
You make it sound so easy haha I could never figure it out

If you are buying another cluster and changing it maybe consider getting the type that fixes the rnse time sync issue. It does not come from an 8L but you can use the 8L foils, needles and facia/housing so it looks stock.

Last edited:
Haha not sure tbh he had both of mine but he was buying the one with the colormfa not sure if you can do it with your skc code and the “new” cluster

I have VCDS Lite, can I use that or does it need to be the full version? If you can pull all the information needed to clone a cluster with VCDS does that also mean you can access the immobilizer pin with it to code new keys? Sorry for all the questions but it’s all Latin to me :sweatsmile:

If you are buying another cluster and changing it maybe consider getting the type that fixes the rnse time sync issue. It does not come from an 8L but you can use the 8L foils, needles and facia/housing so it looks stock.

Now it’s all getting really technical :blink:. Which clocks did you say you used that fixed the issue and is it an easy job to swap everything over so they look the same as S3 clocks?

I really need to get a second motor so I don’t have to get everything done in a day :tearsofjoy:

You can code keys with vcds but you cant retrieve the skc I asked on the vcds forum when I tried to do mine they don’t do it because of security reasons

[QUOTE="warren9022, post: 3346980, member: 37635]

I really need to get a second motor so I don’t have to get everything done in a day :tearsofjoy:[/QUOTE]
Buying a second car is cheaper to running an s3

You can code keys with vcds but you cant retrieve the skc I asked on the vcds forum when I tried to do mine they don’t do it because of security reasons

To my little brain that doesn’t make sense, if all the info needed to clone a cluster is in the EEPROM the pin must be in there somewhere surely?! @IanPG over to you :search:

To my little brain that doesn’t make sense, if all the info needed to clone a cluster is in the EEPROM the pin must be in there somewhere surely?! @IanPG over to you :search:

Yes it is but you can’t use vcds to do it you can use your vcds lead and some other software but not vcds. @IanPG pointed me to a website when he tried helping me, he’s your man

Don’t want to jink it but the r32 has be faultless in the 18 months so far but still rather have the joy of worrying about every noise in the s3 on a daily basis

I love the S3 but I also enjoy modding it (a bit too much lately). Modding and daily driving just don’t go hand in hand. After the respray I’ll get a little runaround, I only do 5 miles a day anyway....

I spoke to Ard Technik and he said you can't get in on this gb as all the screens are counted for but he will be starting a new gb December or January. So I'll keep an eye on his page and when it starts I'll post it up here and then see who all wants and he said then to give whoever wants one his email.
He also said that yous probably won't be able to source ur own screens unless you just sent ur cluster to Russia.

I love the S3 but I also enjoy modding it (a bit too much lately). Modding and daily driving just don’t go hand in hand. After the respray I’ll get a little runaround, I only do 5 miles a day anyway....
Yeah your costing us all a fortune post pics of your mods cause then we want them haha. 5 miles ****** hell. In work I had to drive to Bristol from Manchester and back for a toilet not flushing ( I know it’s crazy) the worst part was I couldn’t fix it, it was a faulty electrical flush sensor haha

I spoke to Ard Technik and he said you can't get in on this gb as all the screens are counted for but he will be starting a new gb December or January. So I'll keep an eye on his page and when it starts I'll post it up here and then see who all wants and he said then to give whoever wants one his email.
He also said that yous probably won't be able to source ur own screens unless you just sent ur cluster to Russia.
Ok cheers for asking, if you can that would be great

Reactions: hydro s3
What issue? And what cluster fixes it?

The displayed time on the rns-e screen does not always match the time on the instrument cluster and the arrival time displayed when navigating will not be correct. if for example you were to disconnect and reconnect your battery the hours and minutes will match for the first 15 minutes then it gets jumbled up. If you read up on the bjarne cangate it is a device that was developed around 2005/6 to fix the issue but they are NLA and sell quickly and for a lot when one does pop up.

My clocks are from a facelift C5 A6 and the oil temp and volt meter parts of the board have been cut off so it fits in the 8L housing.

The displayed time on the rns-e screen does not always match the time on the instrument cluster and the arrival time displayed when navigating will not be correct. if for example you were to disconnect and reconnect your battery the hours and minutes will match for the first 15 minutes then it gets jumbled up. If you read up on the bjarne cangate it is a device that was developed around 2005/6 to fix the issue but they are NLA and sell quickly and for a lot when one does pop up.

My clocks are from a facelift C5 A6 and the oil temp and volt meter parts of the board have been cut off so it fits in the 8L housing.
Any pics ? Did you fit it into the s3 cluster casing?

Yes it fits in the s3 cluster casing, you can use the s3 foils/faces, the scale illumination is white rather than red but I prefer it this way, you could swap the illumination leds over from the s3 board if you wanted it to look stock but then the colour mfa isn’t stock.

I made an error of judgement buying Lockwood foils/faces for mine but I have since got some spare facelift s3 faces to swap in. Yes I have pictures but I need to figure out how to post them

Now it’s all getting really technical :blink:. Which clocks did you say you used that fixed the issue and is it an easy job to swap everything over so they look the same as S3 clocks?

I really need to get a second motor so I don’t have to get everything done in a day :tearsofjoy:

Facelift C5 A6 from 2001 onwards, yes it’s easy to swap over the bits and they look the same when done. The white illumination is nicer than the red in my opinion.

Facelift C5 A6 from 2001 onwards, yes it’s easy to swap over the bits and they look the same when done.
And cloning and fitting colormfa is the same ? Do you need to alter the pcb in any way to fit in the casing or is it simply cutting the two outer gauges off?
can you still get the s3 logo on start up if it’s using the a6 clocks with colormfa

The C5 board is only populated between the speedo and tachometer, it just has tracks running to the two outer gauges which I lobbed off with an angle grinder.

I was told I can still use the s3 logo when I ordered my colour mfa, I explained which clocks I had and what I was doing. I’d imagine the c5 ones are immo3

Last edited:
And do you have to de wire the grey, blue and green connector (female) on the back cluster or do they unplug

No rewiring necessary at all. Plugs straight in and works as normal (apart from the immobiliser programming) there is some coding necessary to tell the cluster what car it’s in now and what options such as fuel type, no. of cylinders, transmission etc

The C5 cluster has a more advanced version of can

Last edited:
Ok you’ll have to let us know how you get on when yours is fitted if it works with rnse no problem then il get one sorted

No rewiring necessary at all. Plugs straight in and works as normal (apart from the immobiliser programming) there is some coding necessary to tell the cluster what car it’s in now and what options such as fuel type, no. of cylinders, transmission etc

How do you stand with the immobiliser Ronan? Could it be cloned from your original set of clocks so immobiliser worked, mileage was right etc?

I have the cr170 tdi engine conversion with immobiliser off, it was easier to turn it off rather than try to program it.

If I still had my original clocks and original engine the a6 ones could be programmed to work in place of my originals

I have the cr170 tdi engine conversion with immobiliser off, it was easier to turn it off rather than try to program it.

If I still had my original clocks and original engine the a6 ones could be programmed to work in place of my originals

Looks like I’m ordering a set of clocks then :tearsofjoy:

Ok you’ll have to let us know how you get on when yours is fitted if it works with rnse no problem then il get one sorted

It’s already working with my rns-e no problem, it’s been connected for months and the time stays synchronized. I would hope the change to the colour mfa should not have any impact.

Can you use TDi clocks and recode to work for petrol cars?... TDi clusters are much cheaper and seeing as you would reuse the S3 foils etc seems plausible to go that route

<tuffty/>

I’d say the option in the coding allows for the different scaling between petrol and diesel faces. My original s3 clocks with original petrol coding worked with the tdi engine, my C5 clocks are tdi ones so I bought some Lockwood faces but the quality is poor, if I changed the coding to tell them they were petrol then I could use the petrol s3 face

The point I’m trying to make is 5k on tdi clocks is probably around the 7k position on petrol ones

I have pictures of the clocks I just tried to post but I can’t, Could I email them to anybody else that could post them?

Auto and manual make a difference? I like the rings round the clocks but it needs a s3 logo on there

Synchro you’re right - that data is transferable between clusters.

Just checked WhatsApp and I still have the images @syncro @<tuffty/>
2B2BE3D8 95B8 40A9 81FE 831D14C7811A

86B84F2B BAD0 48A9 9C65 514A49BC90DE

5BAB056B 264F 42D3 800E 977DB11AABA5

FBDEAB66 2472 4AD8 B2B9 A9D40BCFFFB2

D0C8DDDD 1DB0 4381 8A20 D5711F830B7E

C7FD9337 804A 4028 A3E5 BBAAFDCD771C

1611AA0A 8405 47A8 84D4 CD46EB94A2C9

E11E8072 A078 4070 B6EC C7F20C762584

6FD68674 6BC1 4DCD 83EC 89419E1E5808

3F0158F2 519C 48A7 B835 DF10635374F3

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Lol. Nice one.

The RS and S4 wire up completely identical to the S3 so this is definitely an optio. If you’re desperate.

The coding is identical too

Auto and manual make a difference? I like the rings round the clocks but it needs a s3 logo on there

Auto or manual donor clocks does not matter it’s just a matter of changing coding for them to work in the s3 anyway.
The rings are part of the C5 housing so can’t be used unless you really want to, you would need to remove the outer plastic screen from both and try to swap them over, it’s a common mod on mk4 cluster mods Facebook page they use Passat and bora sport parts to make custom mk4 clocks.

You are right about the S3 faces I need to swap mine over and loose the tacky Lockwood ones