Clutch judder? Torque Vectoring? Seasick :(

Lafarge

Reaction score
Hi folks...

Thanks for reading - my B7 A4 TDiQ had an alternator clutch failure before Christmas (great timing), the belt shredded, tangled around the crank, messed the timing up, and meant I needed a head rebuild. Got that done but since I've had the car back on the road it's driving like a bag of sh!te :(

It was mapped on a stock Audi clutch/DMF from 177 to 200. The clutch began slipping so I had it replaced with a LUK clutch/DMF. No clutch slip or judder, all good.

The above failure happened, had the head sent off and rebuilt (motorcast.com - good job for a fair price) then had the Audi put back together. Since then, I've had horrible clutch judder in 4th or above when I use a lot of throttle.

Took it back to the 'mappers at the weekend and had it dialled back to 177. It's much better, but still judders if you try and put too much throttle through the car. It's a hard judder that goes right through the car, you feel it as boost comes in, then the instant you take power off, it goes.

Add to this the feeling that the Quattro system is diverting power between the left and right sides of the car constantly, and the result is that I was nearly sick after 2 hours in the car at the weekend. I sat in the barbers waiting for my turn and the room was literally spinning for the first few minutes. Proper motion sickness. It had 4 new Dunlop SP Sport Maxx fitted last summer but was absolutely fine, so I can't see how they could be the cause.

So, my question is two-fold; 1 has anyone else had problems with a LUK clutch/DMF in a Quattro 177, and 2 has anyone else felt this 'torque vectoring' effect on their Quattro? I wonder if the timing was always a little bit off so it never really had the full power of the engine on the LUK gear until the rebuild, which I can understand, but not the wobbling from side to side :/

Grateful for any and all thoughts...and if anyone is near Hayes, Sunbury, Woking, or Sutton, and is willing to give up a few minutes of their time, I'd be equally grateful.

Cheers,

Lafarge