Clone Passive LF RFID part of Advanced key to passive RFID Sticker to place on back of phone for tap to enter and tap to StartStop

Np1389

Reaction score
Can someone help guide me through this idea:
I have an A3/S3/RS3 8V 2018 FL UK model advanced key with keyless access and start stop only ignition (no turn key)
i want to just use a passive RFID STICKER on the back of my phone to tap on the door handle and then tap of the ignition area to engage start stop to drive off. I’ve setup using OBDEleven auto lock all doors on walkaway if key outside car so then technically if I can get a passive Rfid sticker on back of phone to work - I can just carry my phone around PLUS as I’m not carrying an active battery powered OEM key I’m more secure from relay theft as the passive LF Rfid sticker would need a thief to be basically on my phone to read and copy it

Question for anyone with knowledge on cloning just the passive rfid part of advanced 2018+ keys is how can I pull the passive rfid code from my OEM key and programme it into a passive RFID Sticker to stick on back of my iphone?

do I need something like a Xhorse kit £hundred’s or just a £20 EBay reader writer to grab what I need?

apologies if I’ve made amateur flaws in my understanding of RFID as I am no way knowledgable about how it works just thought would be more secure and one less thing to carry and my OEM keys are safe at home so no risk of losing them

Cheers

Disclaimer: I'm no kind of expert.... but I'm pretty sure the Audi Advanced key uses rolling codes that change on each use, so cloning it once would only work one time. I don't think what you are asking is possible from a single RFID chip.

Ok, yes thought there would be an explanation for what I thought was too convenient of an idea which no one on the internet has written about (I searched everywhere) makes sense now why . Apologies if it was an obvious answer why that couldn’t work, I have no understanding of how the RFID works just had the idea, thank you for helping

Glad to help. It's unfortunate that Audi didn't give us 8V owners many features that some of the other model lines have like remote unlocking by phone. One device for everything and no car key to carry is certainly the future.

Glad to help. It's unfortunate that Audi didn't give us 8V owners many features that some of the other model lines have like remote unlocking by phone. One device for everything and no car key to carry is certainly the future.
As someone who has worked on automotive software ... hell no. Give me the key and a proper immobiliser. Those systems are CRAP.

Reactions: JWAM and toooldforboyracing
ArrEssDrei, yes, purely a convenience feature idea as main reason I asked about this is I feel I'm in the future already as I'm so used to my model 3 performance and model S all controlled by my app (absolutely everything is seamlessly in it works without fail), which I have to admit (apologies first world problem coming up) as I have my phone on me all the time I dont have to think twice about any physical keys (home security/gate/garage/car/wallet) just walk straight up to the car and drive off (I'm not well versed in tech so not sure how secure Tesla's app is (wuta3) if it uses RF or bluetooth or app vulnerability - I just know it works).

Out of all my cars the RS3 is my favourite though, just gets me excited to want to drive it, just wanted it to have this one convenience feature (either OEM upgrade or Aftermarket/DIY)

Annoyingly in this case the Tesla pair really have raised my expectation of what the whole driving experience should start off like. Plus means I'm not fishing around the sides of the RS3 seats for my fallen RS3 key every time it slips out of my pocket in those RS bucket seats if I haven't remembered to take it out and find a home for it, then forgetting it, in the centre console somewhere lol an old physical ignition slot actually would've done nicely for it come to think of it.

Totally agree ArrEssDrei - I spoke to Audi Digital Services UK and asked about if there's any features I can have if I set up the Audi app for my 2018 FL RS3 Saloon, the Audi guy actually said no, no point me downloading the app really, I cant do anything with my 2018 car!!! than check service history. Literally cant do anything from the app even though it has all those Tech pack gimmicks (including phone box and SIM Nav plus Audi Connect etc) - basically it's telling me Audi simply decided not to tie it all together (or be able to tie it all together with software) so it could what I think is a pretty reasonable modular upgrade from a 2018 car to have Audi Connect Key - that the guy said an A4 2019 has the ability to, just 1 yr later!!!

Surely being a fairly big business (VAG) stating they pride themselves on being tech-pioneers would have some level of modular upgrade capability and could even charge for it. Do they think if I want some of their new features I'll dump my RS3 MY18 for a newer Audi the next year, they've basically not taken the opportunity to sell me add-on modules in the interim to keep me interested to climb their brand ladder of cars.
What happens is I'll just keep the existing Audi and rather than them retain me in the Audi brand by making money off me with add-on sales they've basically released me to search through all the new cars out there when I come to buy again that could tempt me away from them esp if they drive just as well, sporty and allow adding features like OTA updates (come to think about that, case proven as I've transitioned over to other cars with the Tesla pair now, I used to be heavily into Audi's)
Sorry guys rant over about Audi's disappointing approach to modular tech in their cars - I'm only saying this as my expectations (for a fairly recent 2018 car with its tech) are sky high after owning these tesla's

I wouldn't spend so much time and write such a long post on the Audi forum if I didn't feel so passionately to somehow breathe some new life into my Rs3 from a convenience POV if I could (obv I love it for it's handling, gearbox, engine etc. that's a given, that's why I got it but come on it's a £50k+ 2018 car, I'd expect some comforts as it has the tech).
Still loving the RS3 for putting a smile on my face every time I approach the car, that exhaust note, cabin and drive. Gonna be hated for this but honestly the model 3P is slowly becoming more natural go to now for daily things/road trips over the RS3 and with it's outrageous acceleration I dont want the RS3 to become the 2nd car to the 3P

Reactions: ArrEssDrei
FWIW I do use the app to send map locations to the MMI and find that quite helpful, though I'm using CarPlay more and more these days I do like the Audi system.

You might look at aftermarket alarm systems - pandora comes to mind. It can add things like remote starting and I'm not sure but they may have some keyless options. Worth exploring the aftermarket in any case.

Enjoy your car :)

Reactions: Np1389
Thanks, didn’t know about the maps to MMI, quite handy, cheers
Thanks for the Pandora suggestion, I spoke with them at length just a few weeks back but in any combination there isn’t a way for me to walk up to my conventional car built only to interact with RF keys without having to also have that OEM key with you in addition to any Pandora keys/tags to be able to unlock and drive away from just a phone

Tbh it’s not such a big hassle carrying the Audi key just one thing (it’s really a ridiculously first world issue which I won’t linger on about anymore) it’s just if I was able to digitise it into or onto my phone securely (which I now know I can’t) that would’ve been awesome

(the rant was all towards audi, if they read these threads, to sort their tech out as I love their RS models but they lost me on two cars as I lost faith in them compared to the competition and with their absurd extras pricing so hoping they find a way to claw me back in future e-tron generations - will have to take a lot though as I’m hooked on the T now)