Cleaning MAF and Throttle Body

dot32

Reaction score
Hi all, looking to clean both the maf and the throttle body this weekend due to lumpy idling, (never bothered with my old a4 - when the idle went lumpy, I'd just switch on the ac compressor which would stop the car from stalling - not the best thing to do as when the throttle body needed replacing this cost me £450!!) Anyway can anyone point me in the right directions for a photo guide of the two procedures, saw them awhile ago, but can find them anywhere now!

Cheers all.

Mate, your a star!!! have been looking for ages!!!
p.s Do I need to disconnect the battery for any of these procedures, as I don't have the code for my concert deck?

Cheers

Also see this... http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39658&highlight=throttle+body+gasket a lot of good stuff on there but to sumurise, it might be worth getting a new throttle body gasket part number 028129748 and £1.82 inc VAT from Audi (bought mine today!) and the throttle body bolts are done to 8Nm of torque.

I think people say to disconnect the battery to reset the throttle body if it is drive by wire, is yours cable or drive by wire? and i'm sure someone said that they suprisingly didn't have to put in their headunit code.

If yours is cable operated might be worth not disconnecting the battery so that you def don't need the headunit code.

Cheers fella for the info, Mines a 1.8t with DBW so probably will have to disconnect the bat... oh well my girlfriends singing ain't that bad if the radio goes safe...

cheers!

8Nm can be measured accurately using a torque wrench, tightening the bolts as much as pos is ok, just as long as the surfaces of the inlet manifold and the trottle body seal against the gasket...and don't over tighten them and strip the threads!

8Nm is not much torque so if they are done up tight with a small (1/4" rachet or allen key) that should be fine.

Hi all, looking to clean both the maf and the throttle body this weekend due to lumpy idling, (never bothered with my old a4 - when the idle went lumpy, I'd just switch on the ac compressor which would stop the car from stalling - not the best thing to do as when the throttle body needed replacing this cost me �450!!) Anyway can anyone point me in the right directions for a photo guide of the two procedures, saw them awhile ago, but can find them anywhere now!

Cheers all.

I just cleaned my throttle body and replaced the spark plugs and wow what a difference. My A3 was getting a bit sluggish pulling off in 1st and 2nd and MPG was really suffering too. When I took it apart I found loads of black gunk built up, I didn't remove the entire throttle body tubing but did remove the unit from the engine and left the fuel supply attached and managed to clean it just fine - I also advise not touching the butterfly flap with your hand and using the throttle pully on the side to open it while cleaning, if you use a decent carb cleaner with a straw nozzle it blows most of it away. Just saves you some extra time, I would say it took me about an hour to replace the plugs and clean the TB.

If you are experiencing a sluggish performance and idling is rough and bounding up and down you will see a massive improvement. I didn't need to use a VAG-COM and it sorted itself out nicely. I have purchased the cable on ebay for just £5 as I am a little geek and want to play with the settings. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: fazfam786
You know this thread is nearly 6 years old? Good to keep it up to date for others I suppose.
The youngest 8L is 9 years old so I guess nobody is worrying about time.