Cleaning convertible roof

wideboybloke

Reaction score
Taking delivery of an A3 cabrio within the next few days. I've read and been advised different ways of cleaning the fabric roof and have no idea which to adopt. Could I ask the experts on this forum for guidance please. For background, the car will be parked on a driveway under a pine tree so from time to time will be covered in fine specks of pine resin and occasional dollops.

Taking delivery of an A3 cabrio within the next few days. I've read and been advised different ways of cleaning the fabric roof and have no idea which to adopt. Could I ask the experts on this forum for guidance please. For background, the car will be parked on a driveway under a pine tree so from time to time will be covered in fine specks of pine resin and occasional dollops.
I can't advise for the convertible but I feel your pain with the pine resin. It seems I've only got to park for 5 min under one of ours and the blighter gets me and it's out with the tar remover

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

First vacuum to remove abrasive dust. You can use normal car shampoo or something like the Autoglym cleaner - gently agitate the surface with something like a rough sponge or nailbrush. Rinse thoroughly but do not use a power washer lance as that can damage the waterproof membrane. Then finish with a "proofer" (say every six months) which makes the water bead and run off like a duck's back - the Autoglym one is popular - mask paintwork as it is a devil to remove when it dries. Some people prefer Fabsil Gold as this can be painted on.

Reactions: scotty76
Just bought my A4 06 cab . Upgrade from a saab vert.
On the Saab site a great guy gives a big write up on this.
He swears by Johnsons bubble baby bath (blue bottle) it's very mild and easy to wash it all out . Then 2-3 coats of fabsil.
Here's mine done last week . Once the Fabsil is on the water should bead like this and then roll off?
IMG 1019

Last edited: