CHEAP RED AUDI s3 ON EBAY

golfer

Reaction score
Alright lads,

New member on here. Forum looks good.

Ive seen a red audi s3 on ebay. Please see following link :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-AUDI-S3-QUATT...bayphotohosting

Does anybody have any history or does anybody know about this car ?

Why is it on so cheap ? Does it have a bad history ?

The colour doesnt look like the audi red.

it is described as orangey/red ???

It is based in Manchester.

Quick search on RAC vehicle search shows the following, which LOOKS ok :

Vehicle details
Manufacturer AUDI
Model S3 QUATTRO
Body type 3 DOOR HATCHBACK
Colour RED
Fuel type PETROL
Date manufactured 29 October 1999
Number of previous owners 1
Last owner change 01 December 2000

Please if anybody has some information on this, shed some light !!!

Thanks !!

Hi Golfer.

It is cheap!

Probably because it is a very early one, pre-facelift and 98,000 miles.

The guy probably wants rid quick hence the price...

It could also be an import (doesn't say) so this will affect price too!

If you are going to buy it, get an independant check done on it (approx £100 from RAC) and also you may want to phone the dealer and they can tell you what work it has done from the computers..

Hope this helps
Rich.

thanks for the info so far.

looks a very dull red.

Red 'can' be a nightmare to keep looking bright...

I think the price is about right really, but at that mileage I would be wanting a test drive before hand, I'd be looking critically for 'looseness' and play in the handling/steering.

I would fully expect bushes to be very worn if not knackered but you dont want to be having to replace shocks etc Unless your intending modding it in which case as long as the engine and drivetrain are sound its the perfect base car!
If you 'can' arrange a test drive, try and find someone who has VAG-COM on their laptop to check the ECU for fault codes.

IMHO if you know a mechanic who will look it over and have access to VAG-COM then the RAC/AA inspections are a waste of money.
I'd rather give a mechanice mate £50 as they will be far more motivated/critical to find something wrong...

Does not look like he is a private trade, look at his email address - yes it is amerture but he looks like he buys to sell. The car its self deffo needs looking over by a mecahnic that like stewart says will be more opinionated

He has white dials on this picture...
23_3.JPG

Always thought the S3 only came with black dials.

dials look normal S3 to me.

grey like they should be , white lettering, lit redish .

i expect the flash as reflected a bit.

That is cheap. Just a shame about the colour, although it would stand out. Reckon a test drive is needed.Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

erm... my last car was red! never seen that burnt orange colour b4 tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

if it was an import would it really affect the price that dramtically?

i remember a thread on the diff between imports and UK and people saying there wasnt any at all except dealers will use it as an excuse to get the car cheap!

The colour could be the result of a respray or may be a special order job.

It doesn't look like a standard audi paint job though.

£7500 is quite cheap for a S3 but the mileage is quite high

Parkers puts a good condition 99 S3 at £9000 (ish) with 60,000 miles so I guess if you took into account the extra mileage it'd work out about right.

[ QUOTE ]
The colour could be the result of a respray or may be a special order job.

It doesn't look like a standard audi paint job though.

£7500 is quite cheap for a S3 but the mileage is quite high

Parkers puts a good condition 99 S3 at £9000 (ish) with 60,000 miles so I guess if you took into account the extra mileage it'd work out about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like Absolute Red to me (or baked bean red as known in the field)

I've seen quite a few of these...

I'm with DickyS3 - it looks like Absolute Red; that's perhaps old and not particularly well-cared for; and the shots are most likely taken with a digital camera on an ill-informed auto-mode. The car looks a few different colours in just those shots - the most pronounced being the differnce between shots of the front and the back, where perhaps the biggest contrast of ambient light would be - so my guess is the camera is making a full-on mess of gauging light and appropriate aperture and shutter-speed - resulting in the image having some interesting colours (particularly the primaries).

Rob.

I just re-checked the photos and the bottom right one looks more normal than the others.

It still looks a bit orange in the rest of them though, but it could be down to the camera or lack of care to the paintwork.

I guess i'm just too used to seeing the pics from guys on this forum who really look after their cars

I'll consider myself told - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

my A3 is lazer red I believe, and is def red not orange as I believe absolute can look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I often get peeps asking what I use on it. If I had the money i'd have been interested. I dont do a lot of miles so a few years with me and it would be back on track!

cheers lads for your help. i will not be going for this s3, anyway.

i was just curious as to the price etc .

on the lookout for a good s3 now !!

That S3 is absolute red like mine and in certain light looks bright orange like I have been tango'd...its a ****** to keep shiney but does turn heads....

Well said S 3K. This is Absolute Red. Only car i've ever had that can change colour from day to day.

Im waiting for the feedback to be left on this, to see how the car turned out. None as of yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Im waiting for the feedback to be left on this, to see how the car turned out. None as of yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here mate. still no feedback and rac search still shows one previous owner.