Changing from a New A3(8P) 2.0 TDI DSG to a S3(8L)

stevehsv868

Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver
Reaction score
Hello

I currently have a 2006 55 reg A3 2.0 TDI DSG Sline, But the problem with it is, its not a rare car, and I see loads going up the M6. And I don’t have any passion about it, as its just not different.

So I was thinking of swapping to the old shape S3, because it’s a car you don’t see very often, and its has great specification, and great performance.

I just want to know everyone’s opinion on this matter.

And what sort of problems should I expect with owning a S3

Thanks

Speeding tickets, too many friends and a sore knob from over use...

If only...

Same as any 1.8 Turbo car really.... I'm a bad example, since owning mine I've had to replace the ECU, front wishbones, front and rear anti roll bars (due to the bushes), airbag sensor, headlamp self leveling motors and now my turbo's failing to boost.... Most people have a better time by the sounds of it ;)

Blunteh said:
Speeding tickets, too many friends and a sore knob from over use...

If only...

:lmfao:

from reading the many threads on here it seems different problems for different people regarding the S3 so its hit or miss really just like any other car i suppose... ive had my 2000 reg S3 for a few months now and nothing to report yet except my rapidly diminishing funds due a heavy right foot and high fuel costs..... :racer:

You'll notice a fair change in the interior, not saying that there is anything wrong with the 8L S3 interior, but compared to an 8P it just looks old now IMHO.

I know as I had alway said that I'd replace my Golf with an S3 and when James (MarriedBlonde) offered me the S-Line earlier than expected, I booked a test drive with the local Audi dealer on a very late 8L S3. Very nice to drive, but the interior did feel dated when compared to the 8P.

James offered me such a good deal that it was a no brainer choice anyway.

Cheers Mate.

Personnally i wouldnt bother, go for a well speced 2.0T quattro. Performance is almost the same in standard form. The S3 is a good car i havent really had any problems with mine a temp sensor, steering column & front anti roll bar in 1.5years.

From what i understand the S3 is prone to a number of problems:

Anti roll bars
notchy / cruching gear boxes
steering columns
Brakes fading
Worn bushin (seems a common occurance)
Rust (to arches, roofs, tailgates & bottom of doors)

I've owned my 2001 S3 for 2 years and a bit now and the only problems I've had are the usual MAF and ARB issues, faulty Alarm Siren and Lamda Sensor which were all replaced under warranty. The only other things to go wrong since have been the battery which I replaced and a stuck rear seat which sorted itself out. Overall I am very happy and expect to keep it for as long as I can.

I would disagree with the comment above about the interior being dated (each to their own) simply becuase the Recaros are the dogs in my view and there isn't many interiors in the same class as the S3 for the same money...

As with any car look after it and it will serve you well!!! (oil and filter change every six months)

One further thing, get yourself a grey one if you can as they are the best colour and rare too. :)

The interior does look a bit dated now compared to the 8p, still a very nice place to be though and well put together.

stevehsv868 said:
I don’t have any passion about it, as its just not different.

IMO this is the key point. Standard performance is similar, interior quality is similar even if the design is a bit different. For me the S3's general Q'car status sets them apart.

edit: spotted it was being compared to a 2.0t quattro :)

How much would you roughly spend on petrol a week? How long until £10 goes...

id keep the car you've got, its cheaper to run and newer, and even though the s3 isnt a car you see everday i think the passion for it would wear out quickly cos tbh as good a car as it is its a bit boring to drive. just my opinion.