Changing discs and pads

GeorgieS3

Reaction score
Need some advise of you guys?

Went to Change my pads and discs today, following a very good guide on here. Now I got as far as pushing back the pistons back on the front and they wouldn't budge. Tbf I don't have the proper tool I tried bodging it with a g/clamp. But still the piston was so tight it only moved a few MM. Before the glamp broke!
Would you recommend buying the proper tool? I thought they would go back relatively easy but the must be slightly siezed. Oh and I took the cap of the brake fluid tank as well.

Cheers.

Using the proper tools makes life so much easier

Yeah I thought as much, I read somewhere that the fronts are a lot easier to do without the re-wind tool. I will buy one now!

I assume you mean the rears... they need the proper tool as the piston winds in

<tuffty/>

I meant the fronts sorry, I know that I need the tool for the rears yes. I attempted the fronts today but couldn't get the piston to push back.

Fronts should just push back... I normally take the inboard pad out and reassemble using a lever bar in the gap against the disc to push the piston back

<tuffty/>

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks tuffty I will try that method. I took them completely of then tried using a g-glamp....until it snapped.
Could it be possible it's siezed or just very hard to push back if the pads have been low for a while?

Can be stiff yeah hence using the natural environment to help force it back in....

Undo the reservoir cap too and keep an eye on the fluid level as you may need to syphon some off

<tuffty/>

Right got both the front done today, with the pads being low so quite a while I pushed them in with a bigger and better g-clamp, then pumped the brake pedal to push them back out and repeated this until the Pistons went all the way back.
Just need bedding in now and could do with some paint on the callipers but didn't have time today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 119
Did you have to remove the caliper carrier to replace the discs? I've read differing opinions on whether this is necessary.

Did you have to remove the caliper carrier to replace the discs? I've read differing opinions on whether this is necessary.

I'm pretty sure you do need to take them off, no harm in giving them a clean as well.

I got my old disks off with the carriers on but needed to loosen the carriers bolts to get new ones back on.