changing audi single din stereo for double din sat nav.....

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys

I got a 2000 a6 with the standard single din concert system in the centre console but want to change for the double din sat nav rns-e or similar if possible.

is this possible to do? at what sort of expense? does the climate control also need to be changed?

would something like this be the job (but one for the a6)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-AUDI...ryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any help or links would be really appreciated

I've wondered this for a while too.

The photos in the eBay listing you posted suggest that on an A4 at least, the climate control unit must also change, because it gets pushed down by the mod and wouldn't fit in the reduced width of the console.

Before:

After:

Compare the position of the top of the climate control next to the phone holder - it's moved down almost a couple of inches in the 'after' photo. I can't believe that doesn't require a new CC control unit. :(

The A6 may be different, of course, but I can't see how a double-DIN unit would fit in my dash without the CC unit moving down in the same way.

You do need to change the mounting frame behind the trim, you will need a new heater control and ash tray the rear heater pipes are also slightly different.

i have fitted an RNS-d nav unit to mine, it looks like it will be quite cheap to start with however the costs mount quickly.

the old heater control will fit and work untill you can find a double din vesion but will have a gap around the edge.

the double din heater control is slightly larger than the single din, as it fits directly against the side trims instead of having a trim piece around it.

you will also need the trim around the gear lever as it sticks up to high underneath you new ash tray - or cut it down!

i do love the factory look of the nav, and it is lovely to leave it anywhere without having to remove anything.

i got my nav unit very cheaply for £215. brand new from a dealer, the frame cost around £100. from ebay - the heater control about the same, you may need a map disc around £100.
there are wiring harness adaptors for around £30 which come with a GPS ariel included.

the costs mount, but it is nice, you will be able to buy a stand alone unit from garmin or similar with more features for less.

i am glad i have done it and it does impress passengers.

not liking that 590 euros inc postage!

do you have any pics of your conversion Matt?

I did the same conversion on my 2000 A6 a few months back. Had to do a bit of research on how to replace the back cage- the hardest part in my opinion.

It seems like a straight forward job at first but then you realise you have to pretty much take out the entire central console and the panels under the steering wheel and glove box.

Worth it in the end though. I went for the RNS-D Sat Nav unit in mine; kept the same AC/Climate control unit and never bothered with a new ashtray! It doesn't look shabby either, considering you haven't forked out for the parts mentioned.

These are the instructions I followed to do the job:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/208934.phtml

This site also had useful info:

http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1003

My conversion pic from Concert single din to RNS-D double din:

RNS-D.jpg

You can see the gap around the AC unit and may notice no ashtray either- never use it anyway!

My cost was:

£160 for Sat Nav -inc GPS antenna and P+P (ebay UK)
£80 for the cage; difficult to find second hand on UK ebay but I got mine from ebay.de (germany). You dont need that whole console as posted by user 'matt_o121'.

Else a brand new one, try:

www.vagparts.com type in 'A6 double din' in the search- quite expensive on there though -£183 inc VAT

good job mate, did the RNS-D plug into the standard single din concert loom as normal?

shufti said:
good job mate, did the RNS-D plug into the standard single din concert loom as normal?

You will need the Plug and Play adapter (as per link in 'matt_o121' post) cheaply available on eBay.

HI there guys

My name is Anton Richards

I am new to this forum, and i have just sold a 99 a3 TDI and purchased a 2002 S3 8L.

Now i want to apologise if this question has already been asked, and i know how anooying it can be to keep telling people the same thing, but i have been trying to find this information for a while as i planned on doing it to the TDI but never got round to it.

I want to fit the RNS-D satnav unit to my car.

Now my S3 already has satnav, but the in dashboard trip computer one, that is really bad and doesnt provide any usefull information.

So i want to know what is needed to fit the RNS-D unit to my car. Now i have tried to research as much as i can, and i know from my girlfriends mini, that manufacturer standard satnav runs off of a disc located in the boot/glove compartment?

So as i already have the other satnav which runs from a disc in my boot, will the RNS-D unit work of the same disc player?

I have also researched and found out that my car has the single din, concert II system. So i know ill need at least a double din cage. Ive read a few threads about the heater having to be changed as well? but all those posts seem to be about the a4 or a6.....so can anyone tell me if the sizes are all slightly different in all 3 models of car (a3, a4, a6). And can my heater controls just move stright down and i ge rid of the holding tray underneath it?

Ive found a few units on ebay and other sites ranging from £170-£350 depending on what is included.

Can anyone help me in purchasing the right parts.

kind regards

Anton