Changed top mounts and bearings - now clunking on bumps?

Vex182

1x S3 and 3x Fiestas.
Reaction score
Hey, I fitted LCR top mounts and new bearings the other other, after some faffing with one side, all went ok. I now have some knocking over bumps, I have checked everything out and all looks fine. I did put them in dry fitting like the old ones looked like, did they need greasing or could I have possibly done them to tight? Everything else is all fine after I checked yesterday, I even fitted my new n/s driveshaft last night (Spilt boots) and the noise has not changed at all.

Last edited:
hi vex

check out thread about the clonkasaurus

i had the same, changed top mounts, and the knock seemed to get better then came back.

i diagnosed ARB bushes by temporalrly disconnecting one of the drop links

i wonder if the new top mounts transfer all the slack from the old top mounts into the anti roll bar, showing up any wear in the bushes eevn more.?

i had a good 1/2 inch up/down movement at the strut top mount with the old mounts

hi vex

check out thread about the clonkasaurus

i had the same, changed top mounts, and the knock seemed to get better then came back.

i diagnosed ARB bushes by temporalrly disconnecting one of the drop links

i wonder if the new top mounts transfer all the slack from the old top mounts into the anti roll bar, showing up any wear in the bushes eevn more.?

i had a good 1/2 inch up/down movement at the strut top mount with the old mounts

Thanks for that but I have changed my drop links and bushes to get rid of another clunk from before and they looked ok when I was changing my driveshaft last night. Hmm!

My a3 rattled terribly, I narrowed it down to the nuts on the top of the shock absorbers. The top bolt was tight but the one under that was loose.

Cheers for the help guys, I checked my top mounts, also disconnected my track rod ends from the struts and checked for play in the track rod themselves. I then removed both the drop links and the noises stopped! I then ordered and upgraded to polybush antiroll bar bushes even though my bushes were replaced with genuine Audi ones less than 6 months ago and the noise has gone! Going in for front wheel alignment tomorrow and all should be well now!

Reactions: jojo