catalyst engine light

DanVag

Reaction score
Hi,

The guy I brought my S4 off removed the back CAT's and didn't install the rear lambda sensors. I have been told I can just drill a hole in the current exhaust and install them? Is this correct?

I am a bit dubious as the sensor will record different information without the CAT being installed.

Just need some advice to clear this engine light and get these sensors installed and working correctly.

Cheers

I could be wrong but doesn't the running of the car depend on the pre cat lambda sensors? The post cat ones only check that the cat is working.

If he's removed the cats then chances are the light will come on if you fit the sensors.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If that was the case surely aftermarket exhaust systems without the back CAT wouldn’t be a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said above, the post-cat lambda sensor is there to monitor the efficiency of the cat. If it is just removed (and the wiring taped up for example) the ECU will receive an implausible signal and trigger a warning light on the instrument panel. Whilst I haven't done this sort of thing myself, I assume that the ECU needs some sort of "map" to "delete" the post cat sensor(s) to avoid a warning light - which may otherwise cause MOT issues if illuminated. Lambda sensors normally go into s strategic point (threaded) in the exhaust and so I have doubts that one can just drill a hole (in an aftermarket exhaust section) and poke one back in.