Facelift CarPlay - Thoughts?

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi All

Picking up my new (to me) 8V A3 shortly and looking for some info on CarPlay vs the Audi 'native' system for nav, audio and phone.

In my current car (2008 Focus) I upgraded to a CarPlay head unit (Pioneer) so I am familiar with the interface etc. It's not without it's faults (i.e. Spotify is so buggy that it forces me to begrudgingly move to Apple Music) but in the main I find the system does everything I want it to do. Nav, calling, texting, charging and music library, all without having to touch the phone.

Now in the A3 I will have the option of continuing to use CarPlay or using the built in Audi stuff for all this (or mix and match...) so I'd be keen on some opinions about the best option?

I'm completely unfamiliar with the Audi system (I briefly messed about with CarPlay in the car I'm buying but basically just to confirm its as I'm used to - which it is, save for using the wheel rather that touchscreen which will take some getting used to!) so don't know how good it is and whether I'm best off abandoning CarPlay altogether?

The part of most importance to me is music playback - either through Spotify or Apple Music, without having to handle the phone. Does this work through the Audi system? And if so does it rely on tracks being downloaded to your phone? CarPlay accesses your whole library whether or not you've made the tracks available locally whereas I think some Bluetooth audio systems I've used in the past can only see what is physically on your phone.

One thing I was really impressed with in the Audi was the responsiveness of CarPlay. It was twice as fast to move around it than it was in the aftermarket unit.

All pointers appreciated!

Last edited:
The Audi MMI interfaces is utter ********! Use CarPlay...

Ha cheers mate

Reactions: Jassyo06
CarPlay is utter ********! Use Audi MMI...

Well that's cleared that up! FWIW I'm no stranger to CarPlay. It has its faults but does everything I want it to do. I guess I'll just use both and eee which I prefer after a while.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Well that's cleared that up! FWIW I'm no stranger to CarPlay. It has its faults but does everything I want it to do. I guess I'll just use both and eee which I prefer after a while.
Nice helpful bunch of replies you got there mate.... Lol Stick around it will get better and enjoy yer new Audi when it arrives

Reactions: BRISTOL86
I’d recommend Android Auto over CarPlay but if you only have an iPhone lol

Audi has a better system than I think other car companies but it’s still much better to use CarPlay or AA.

Spotify works fine through CarPlay and you can scroll through your playlists etc - you can't search Spotify playlists - for that you'd need to handle phone.

Over Bluetooth on audi MMI I think you can't do much - but haven't really used Spotify that way much.

You may already know this so apols if so...

If your car has Audi Phone Box which allows two phones to be paired up -When in CarPlay mode only the one phone is connected.

Also in CarPlay mode the telephone Menus of MMI become redundant so you can only search for tel numbers via CarPlay etc

I now only really use CarPlay on longer motorway journeys rather than usual work commute etc as that way have both personal and work phone connected etc

No idea if that answers anything you were after or not

Spotify works fine through CarPlay and you can scroll through your playlists etc - you can't search Spotify playlists - for that you'd need to handle phone.

Over Bluetooth on audi MMI I think you can't do much - but haven't really used Spotify that way much.

You may already know this so apols if so...

If your car has Audi Phone Box which allows two phones to be paired up -When in CarPlay mode only the one phone is connected.

Also in CarPlay mode the telephone Menus of MMI become redundant so you can only search for tel numbers via CarPlay etc

I now only really use CarPlay on longer motorway journeys rather than usual work commute etc as that way have both personal and work phone connected etc

No idea if that answers anything you were after or not

You don't have any bugs in Spotify? It was so buggy for me on CarPlay that I was forced to stop using it and use Apple Music which is vastly inferior. It would constantly do things like when you press play nothing would happen and you'd have to get the phone out and press play there etc making it pretty useless.

I wonder if it could have been something to do with being a native install vs an aftermarket unit but you'd think it'd all be software related. If I can go back to Spotify and it be reliable in the car I'd be very happy.

Mine doesn't have phone box.

I'm used to using CarPlay to make calls and send messages as that's all I had in my old car so not too bothered about that.

Is the Audi nav much better than the Apple maps? If so does it play nicely if you're using CarPlay to play music but want to use the Audi nav - can you still skip track etc with the steering wheel controls without being in the CarPlay screen?

I think apple need to up their game with CarPlay, the resolution of it is terrible, I have had bad expeances with the phone call handling, Spotify is glitchy there is no way to search for songs via Siri (I think this is probably apples fault as they are trying to get users to sucbscribe to their music platform instead).

You can't have multiple phones connected while in car play, there is no direct button to get back into CarPlay if you leave to go to navigation or something (to get back you need to press menu, scroll down and select CarPlay)

CarPlay is designed to be used with a touch screen interface so our non touch screens make the user experience even more clunky and unintuitive.

I've turned it off and just use the connection as a glorified phone charger.

The MMI works much better in my opinion, if you have a cradle for your phone (I've got a brodit as it's fixed and low down) you can then access spotify in a decent app, make phone calls and do all the other stuff that CarPlay attempts to do but fails.

I think the only thing I really like about CarPlay is the car reminds you that you're about to leave your phone in the car.

You don't have any bugs in Spotify? It was so buggy for me on CarPlay that I was forced to stop using it and use Apple Music which is vastly inferior. It would constantly do things like when you press play nothing would happen and you'd have to get the phone out and press play there etc making it pretty useless.

I wonder if it could have been something to do with being a native install vs an aftermarket unit but you'd think it'd all be software related. If I can go back to Spotify and it be reliable in the car I'd be very happy.

I'm used to using CarPlay to make calls and send messages as that's all I had in my old car so not too bothered about that.

Is the Audi nav much better than the Apple maps? If so does it play nicely if you're using CarPlay to play music but want to use the Audi nav - can you still skip track etc with the steering wheel controls without being in the CarPlay screen?

I think Audi nav is much better, not only do you get the big map but it's intergarted into the dash (next instruction coming up etc).

Yes MMI lets you skip tracks when in Spotify or any other app you choose.

I think apple need to up their game with CarPlay, the resolution of it is terrible, I have had bad expeances with the phone call handling, Spotify is glitchy there is no way to search for songs via Siri (I think this is probably apples fault as they are trying to get users to sucbscribe to their music platform instead).

You can't have multiple phones connected while in car play, there is no direct button to get back into CarPlay if you leave to go to navigation or something (to get back you need to press menu, scroll down and select CarPlay)

CarPlay is designed to be used with a touch screen interface so our non touch screens make the user experience even more clunky and unintuitive.

I've turned it off and just use the connection as a glorified phone charger.

The MMI works much better in my opinion, if you have a cradle for your phone (I've got a brodit as it's fixed and low down) you can then access spotify in a decent app, make phone calls and do all the other stuff that CarPlay attempts to do but fails.

I think the only thing I really like about CarPlay is the car reminds you that you're about to leave your phone in the car.

I did notice the resolution wasn't brilliant in the Audi, whereas on my aftermarket unit in the photo it was really crisp and glossy, almost retina-like. It doesn't massively bother me as I actually find the screen in my eyeline quite distracting and expect it'll be hidden most of the time unless I'm using the nav.

I think Audi nav is much better, not only do you get the big map but it's intergarted into the dash (next instruction coming up etc).

Yes MMI lets you skip tracks when in Spotify or any other app you choose.

Thanks, haven't used the Audi nav yet as the dealer removed all the SD cards, apparently people nick them! It's maybe 1 in 20 journeys where I actually need nav so it's not a major consideration either way.

I was pretty disappointed with car play, but got used to it now.

Spotify used to be a pain, and you had to plug in, start Spotify and unplug/replug to get it to work. Latest app update seemed to resolve that though.

I moved to Apple Music and think it's on par with Spotify and definitely easier to use in car play. Asking Siri to find an artist is good and does work.

It's disappointing that the Audi steering voice control doesn't link into it. It'd be good to press voice control button and it load up Siri.

I'd also like a button that takes me directly to car play when I've been in Audi nav, rather than coming out of everything and scrolling through menu to find CarPlay.

For an Apple product, car play is pretty clunky and not as integrated as I'd have thought.

Not sure how'd you'd upgrade car play either, whether it's an app built into phone software, or in the MMI (and therefore subject to mmi updates).

@DaytonaS3 Hold the voice button and it will activate Siri (or google if on Android Auto).

It’s amazing how many people don’t know this is how it works. Had the same with my R on the VW forum...

Reactions: DaytonaS3
Not sure how'd you'd upgrade car play either, whether it's an app built into phone software, or in the MMI (and therefore subject to mmi updates).

I think it's completely governed by the phone isn't it? I know on my aftermarket unit Pioneer basically say 'don't ask us' if you have queries with carplay as it's essentially just software that sits over the top of their unit.

Thinking hard it's probably glitched a couple of times in almost 15months of using it.

I haven't ever tried Apple maps via CarPlay as always use google maps via Audi MMI.

Pretty sure you can skip tracks as you've said - would need to try as it's one of those things you just do but now you're making me think I'm not so sure...

Ok, I'll clarify why I don't use MMi for media... essentially, it's quite a flawed system. Trying to search for music is simply too difficult (too many sub menus) and trying to change tracks using anything but the steering wheel controls, seems impossible. I have little use for it in honesty. However, I will confess that I've only used it via Bluetooth as all my music is stored on my iPhone. CarPlay uses the same interface as my iPhone, it's much easier to use and makes searching for music really simple... it's great if you use Apple music (streaming version of Spotify).

I guess it depends what you want and how you play your music. Apologies for the rather brash first post, I was in a hurry to go out and thought I'd quickly answer your question. Seems most people prefer the MMi system, but I personally think it's rubbish and have been most disappointed with it... in fact, almost shocked how bad it seems. Perhaps it's better if you store music on a SD card or something, I wouldn't know and hopefully someone can answer that.

I may read the instruction manual at some point... it's not a very manly way to go about it, but might prove fruitful.

Ok, I'll clarify why I don't use MMi for media... essentially, it's quite a flawed system. Trying to search for music is simply too difficult (too many sub menus) and trying to change tracks using anything but the steering wheel controls, seems impossible. I have little use for it in honesty. However, I will confess that I've only used it via Bluetooth as all my music is stored on my iPhone. CarPlay uses the same interface as my iPhone, it's much easier to use and makes searching for music really simple... it's great if you use Apple music (streaming version of Spotify).

I guess it depends what you want and how you play your music. Apologies for the rather brash first post, I was in a hurry to go out and thought I'd quickly answer your question. Seems most people prefer the MMi system, but I personally think it's rubbish and have been most disappointed with it... in fact, almost shocked how bad it seems. Perhaps it's better if you store music on a SD card or something, I wouldn't know and hopefully someone can answer that.

I may read the instruction manual at some point... it's not a very manly way to go about it, but might prove fruitful.

Thanks Mark. I'm completely used to CarPlay and don't have any real complaints aside from the fact that it kind of forced me off Spotify. I think I'll probably use it by default and explore the Audi interface if and when I feel the need to!

Reactions: Mark_86