Facelift CarPlay dock / cradle

The Challinor

Reaction score
Website
www.businessguysit.com
I like the addition of CarPlay on the facelift but plugging it in is kinda annoying ( especially as I’ve fitted a wireless charger to my current S3 ).

I got to thinking about some sort of dock that you could slide your iPhone into ( getting the X on Friday, have the 8 plus atm ).

Just makes life easier then grabbing a cable each time.

P.S. Why the hell Audi haven’t done it wireless like BMW really does annoy me!

I like the addition of CarPlay on the facelift but plugging it in is kinda annoying ( especially as I’ve fitted a wireless charger to my current S3 ).

I got to thinking about some sort of dock that you could slide your iPhone into ( getting the X on Friday, have the 8 plus atm ).

Just makes life easier then grabbing a cable each time.

P.S. Why the hell Audi haven’t done it wireless like BMW really does annoy me!
BMW managed to grab an exclusive licence for wireless CarPlay for the moment, hence why Audi are not offering it.

I connect my phone and leave it in the arm rest compartment together with my wallet. Not really something that bothers me.

The phone if you ask me should not be visible when driving as it can take your focus on the road away. I did have a cradle in the past, but I honestly love not being able to see my phone today.

I connect my phone and leave it in the arm rest compartment together with my wallet. Not really something that bothers me.

The phone if you ask me should not be visible when driving as it can take your focus on the road away. I did have a cradle in the past, but I honestly love not being able to see my phone today.

I agree, just wanted to slide it in quick and not faf around with a cable etc.

I’m too used to wireless charging by now.

Ahh ok, Apple should have never made that deal.

It’s annoys me but not enough to go and buy a car based on wireless CarPlay.

I know it could be done via a SW update but realistically the 8V will never have it...
The main wireless CarPlay prerequisite is wireless AC at 5ghz. Although 5ghz WiFi can be activated in MMI2 it’s via “N”.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJAlix
CarPlay takes advantage of both Bluetooth and WiFi. Bluetooth is used for the initial pairing and sending over WiFi connection details to the HU. See http://devstreaming.apple.com/video...722/722_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf. Scroll down to page 102.

Remember that Bluetooth supports 25Mbps maximum throughput compared to 250Mbps for WiFi direct.

Ahh ok, the 8V has WiFi direct anyway as part of the tech pack can do wireless steaming. But with that in mind we’ll probably see it on a 8V.