Help Please Car won't start - Battery dead - Recent clutch change

Jacko221

Reaction score
Hi all.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on the issue.

Just had my clutch & flywheel changed on my A4 B8 2009. 2.0 TDI Quattro.

After the job was done the battery was fully dead and the key wouldn't release (push key).
Got a new battery and still no luck. The keys still stuck.

Also noticed a fuse keeps blowing in the boot..
Fuse block B
No. 11
Control unit for vehicle electrical system (20 amp)

Evertime the battery is connected, the fuse blows which prevents the car from starting.

Any advice/help welcome!

could be different, but my friends volvo does the same thing, they change the fuse and it blows immedietely if they try start the car, Volvo has said it needs a new ECU which isnt cheap (not to say that's your issue).
I obviously cant recommend it, but my friend is still driving his car without changing the ecu, as he put a larger fuse in, so it doesnt blow, but that is not a fix but a work around! and in fact might be dangerous

Is there a wire that is short circuiting against metal or had some of the insulation peeled in mistake causing a short? have a look around where the work was carried out.
Did you do the clutch yourself or a garage?

Reactions: Jacko221
Hope it isn't the ECU haha!

Will check around for a wire that could be shorting it out.
Work was carried out by a friend (not a wanabe mechanic either)

his ecu problem only occured just after Volvo had performed some work on his car too...
they phoned him asking if he had issues starting it before as after their work it kept blowing fuses and not starting.... they are also qulified, no idea what they did but they told him he needed a new ecu, they popped in the bigger fuse and he just drove off lol been running that way a year on
Simular situation it seems!

Does look like the similar situation just curious about how that could have happened!
Don't want to risk putting a higher amp fuse as they're there for a reason haha!

Going to try get VCDS connected see if that sheds any light either.

i think they only increased the fuse by 5 or 10, nothing major :)

Reactions: Jacko221
Well your friends issue is not the ECU if a bigger fuse "fixed" (using that term loosely) it. A goosed ECU means the car won't work again, EVER until replaced. Sounds to me that something is earthed where it shouldn't be which is causing a short and blowing the fuse.

Time to get the electrical diagrams out and have a look at exactly what that fuse is connected to and check it's entire circuit to make sure it's all ok.

Well your friends issue is not the ECU if a bigger fuse "fixed" (using that term loosely) it. A goosed ECU means the car won't work again, EVER until replaced. Sounds to me that something is earthed where it shouldn't be which is causing a short and blowing the fuse.

Time to get the electrical diagrams out and have a look at exactly what that fuse is connected to and check it's entire circuit to make sure it's all ok.

I've looked everywhere for the electrical diagram but can't find one anywhere.

If anybody has a wiring diagram for where that fuse runs that'll be helpful.