Car been in storage for 6 months now MIL

fonz600

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I put my A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI Special Edition in storage back in November when it developed a fuel leak as I was about to put my house on the market and the garage was stacked full and I was too busy to do it. 6 months on I finally got the finger out and paid the car a visit. Dead battery and a couple flat tires was my welcome sight but I replaced the fuel line that had been rubbing on the chassis(aparrantly a common issue) so that was the main thing.

Anyways after a couple days the MIL flashes up. I ran a VAGCOM scan and it flashed up tonnes of codes, mainly low battery voltage ones but more importantly a:-

1 Fault Found:
000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake)
P0011 - 004 - ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced) - MIL ON

I'm unsure if its just a coincidence or not but the car was fine when I put it in storage but now it is stuttering under load. It did have a slight miss before but after changing the plugs and coil packs not long before storage it ran sweet.
The chain and tensioner was done about 20k miles ago.
I took the plugs out today and they dont look great. Almost look corroded on the electrode which is weird given their age. Could this be the issue???

I did look at the wiki ross tech page but have seen comments suggesting coil packs could trigger it.

Any help?

Clean the plugs, retest.

Yeah I did try that but it flashed back up again. I'm going to buy another set of plugs tomorrow. I put in OE Bosch ones last time, is there a better option?

I would try the plugs 1st then coils, but I am interested to know how plugs got so bad with no usage.

Replaced the plugs and reset the MIL. Last 30 miles and it came back on.
I’m a bit worried it is advanced now tho given the plugs I took out. Will monitor the new ones. Unsure how it can be with it sitting unused that it’s now advanced the timing unless it’s just a coincidence.
The coils are pretty new as well and not cheap to replace, any other checks I can do that are cheap or free before replacing the coils?