Capturing "Operation S4 - Detail and Protect" from Start to Finish

Well folks I have applied 2 coats of the CarPro Leather Coating to the front passenger seat and front driver seat. Unfortunately I don't have a single drop of the product left after coating the 2 front seats twice each (and I put one coating on the door handle + red inserts plus 2 coatings on the center console armrest.)

To be honest I was hoping to complete the entire interior with one bottle. I recall reading from several people that they actually had left over after 2 coats of their leather front and back.

In fairness though, the S4 seats up front are almost entirely covered by leather. Even the back of the sport seats are almost fully leather, so I think the S4 has more leather real estate than many other cars.

At any rate... I first cleaned them very well with Dr Beasley's Fine Leather Cleanser, then wiped all surfaces again with a damp MF cloth, then wiped all surfaces again with a dry MF cloth to remove all possible cleanser residue.

Then coated every inch of leather surface on the front, back, sides of both front seats. Waited an hour. Then applied a second coating to every inch once again to ensure full coverage.

Overall I think it is a really nice product in the sense that it leaves the leather feeling factory new and very supple and "leathery" to the touch. I was really concerned at how the seats would feel after the coating but I am happy to say that they feel really excellent!

I suppose I will have to get a second bottle now for the back seats :(

Lots of pics to follow. Just wanted to provide a quick update!
thumb.gif

Leather Cleanse + Coating - Part 1

Dr Beasley's Leather Cleanser - 5 step process

Spray on
Light scrub/rub
Wipe off
Damp MF cloth to remove residue
Dry MF cloth

Driver's Seat

S4 Leather   Cleaning 1 3000 S4 Leather   Cleaning 2 3000

Look closely at the discoloration and grime on the red leather

Before
S4 Leather   Cleaning 3 3000

After
S4 Leather   Cleaning 4 3000

Before
S4 Leather   Cleaning 5 3000

After
S4 Leather   Cleaning 6 3000

S4 Leather   Cleaning 7 3000

Passenger Seat

S4 Leather   Cleaning 8 3000 S4 Leather   Cleaning 9 3000 S4 Leather   Cleaning 10 3000 S4 Leather   Cleaning 11 3000

CarPro Leather Coating

Passenger Seat

S4 Leather   Coating 1 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 2 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 3 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 4 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 5 3000

Driver Seat

S4 Leather   Coating 6 3000S4 Leather   Coating 7 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 8 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 9 3000

After 2 coats - Comparison shots for same angles above (before/after Dr Beasley's cleanser)

S4 Leather   Coating 10 3000 S4 Leather   Coating 11 3000

Grain and feel is still very nice after 2 coats. Does not feel greasy or tacky at all.
S4 Leather   Coating 12 3000

Front all finished with 2 coats
S4 Leather   Coating 13 3000

PRODUCT REVIEWS

Dr Beasley's Cleanser: Really nice. Easy to use. Cleaned the leather very well and wiped away with virtually no residue. Overall I am perfectly pleased with this product. Not really much else to say. Recommended.

CarPro Leather Coating: End result is quite nice. Application is a little tiresome and once again (similar to the Nano Resin application) the loose suede applicator can't possibly be the best way to do this. It doesn't stay in place for more than 10 seconds at a time. CONSTANT re-adjustment. Why not just attach the suede cloth to the foam applicator and provide maybe 3 applicators with the package. I only used 2 tiny suede cloths in total and neither were even remotely soiled or unusable after 2 coats. I HIGHLY recommend that these companies making these nano coatings available for DIY home use switch to providing an attached suede cloth. Charge another $5 if they have to. It would be worth it.

Application: The product goes on easy enough, but it's definitely a good idea to keep an eye on the coating a few minutes after it's applied to look for any uneven coating and use the larger cloths to gently wipe away excess and smooth out the overlaps.

The smell: The best way I can describe it is that it smells just like puzzle glue that I used years ago to glaze overtop a puzzle to keep it together. It's not exactly a pleasant scent, but it's also not awful by any stretch. I used gloves, but I did not use a face mask and honestly I never felt the need to.

Complaint: The biggest disappointment is that the bottle was definitely not enough the coat front and rear seats with 2 coats. One coat all the way around.. sure. But almost everything I read recommended at least 2 coats. Having to pony up for another kit is not really exciting, but if I must then I will. I may contact CarPro to see if I can buy just the bottle. I don't need another applicator and I don't need any more cloths so maybe I can get some kind of discount on the second bottle.

The end result
: Very nice. I'm pleased with the look and feel of the leather. Feels factory and that's exactly what I was hoping for. Not sure how they pulled this off. Of course I have no idea about the long term (or even short term) performance yet, but at this point, I will say that I am pleased with the product overall and I'm glad I took the time to do this.

Thanks for looking :wink:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Scottyg
update --> I contacted CarPro and they added this product to their Labor Day sale for me so I bought a second bottle for 30% off. They said some leathers absorb more and some absorb less. I guess the S4 Nappa leather is very thirsty!

Reactions: Scottyg
an interesting read and such a nice car! learnt a few things also.

Reactions: ThatOneDude
well... dr beasley's nano resin is definitely hydrophobic. check out this water-beading after a light drizzle!

Image Image Image

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Scottyg