can people post there REAL mpg figures for 2.0TDI, looking to buy but wary of fake MPG

cypher007

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used 2012-2014 A5 2.0 TDI, the TDIe seems to have the best MPG but rubbish spec.

I'm very wary of looking at manufacturers mpg as this seems to equate to complete fantasy.

what sort of mpg are you guys getting urban shuffle shuffle type commuting and motorway?

I'm very wary of looking at manufacturers mpg as this seems to equate to complete fantasy.

Claimed MPG figures are not a means of estimating what sort of MPG you can expect to achieve in normal driving. There are far too many variables that affect average figures, so much so that the MPG has to be produced from a very standard test with very strict parameters in order not to be biased from one car to the next. As such, the number itself is pretty irrelevant. It's the difference relative to other cars it gives you an idea of whether that make and model is more fuel efficient (on average).

I agree, the test could be made to model a more realistic driving situation (consequently the same test was used to test emissions, hence the call for a more realistic road test...), but it shouldn't be used as a marker of what it would typically achieve in normal driving.

There should be hundreds of threads on the fuel economy of different engines. Search function is your friend. Also have a search over on A5OC.com.

Problem is the diesel MPG is absolutely rubbish when the engine is cold, so if you're on short journeys, you're probably better off with petrol. My A4 177 tdi quattro is getting 28-32 out of the average gallon. It's better when warmed up. I managed 43mpg (DIS so probably only 41) cruising down the motorway at 65-70.

I've only had it since November, so hoping warmer weather will help... but I really wish I had the option of going for a petrol. Maybe it's something to do with being in Northern Ireland, but all we seem to have here are diesels. Search AutoTrader and I get 60 tdi quattro's and, if I'm lucky, 5 petrols, mostly without the spec I want. What makes you say the diesels have rubbish spec? I found it was the other way around... hmmm.... is N.I. getting all the high-spec diesels? :D

Oh incidentally, I don't think the mpg figures are good enough to tell the difference between similar cars. For an example, my colleague's 2.0tdi Volkswagen CC (150hp) manages 50-55 mpg, and she doesn't hang around. The book figures for that car are 58-62. My A4 tdi quattro (177) has book figures of 53 - 61, so unless my maths is seriously out, you'd not expect to be getting 28-41. Especially considering the two cars are of similar weights and I'm currently driving like a grandad to see if I can do better...

Sorry mate, but this kind of questions to me are really surprisingly.......
So are you planning to buy an expensive car and the main concern is the mpg?

Better buy a dacia sandero.

Reactions: aqibi2000
Sorry mate, but this kind of questions to me are really surprisingly.......
So are you planning to buy an expensive car and the main concern is the mpg?

Better buy a dacia sandero.
It may not be the main concern but it’s something to look at despite how inaccurate it is.

I’ve got a Quattro which will be worse on diesel and I average 40 around town then low 50s on a run.

I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it.

I love the look of the car, not the latest version, the one with the newer headlights.

I can potentially get a good spec low miles 4-5 year old example in my price range.

the road tax is lower than the current car and I know with my laptop and a cheap Polish mechanic I can keep it going reasonably cheap.

so my main issue is fuel after the normal stuff like tyres.

It may not be the main concern but it’s something to look at despite how inaccurate it is.

I’ve got a Quattro which will be worse on diesel and I average 40 around town then low 50s on a run.

I’m interested, do you get 40s round town from cold in this weather or is that a warmer weather figure? Do you keep the car garaged? Is it s-tronic or a manual?

Sorry for the questions, I’m just curious as I’m coming to the end of my warranty and my figures are a good 10 lower even driving like a granny. Audi reckon my thermostat is ok (although I’m not so convinced) and simply trying to work out if something’s wrong or I should accept it as normal.

I’m interested, do you get 40s round town from cold in this weather or is that a warmer weather figure? Do you keep the car garaged? Is it s-tronic or a manual?

Sorry for the questions, I’m just curious as I’m coming to the end of my warranty and my figures are a good 10 lower even driving like a granny. Audi reckon my thermostat is ok (although I’m not so convinced) and simply trying to work out if something’s wrong or I should accept it as normal.
It varies, from cold I’m looking at around 35-38 but that’s only on startup. Once it’s warm I get low 40s around town.

My dad has a facelift audi a5 3.0tdi (not quattro)
around town 25-30mpg
motorway 45mpg (80-90mph)

So I'd assume the 2.0tdi is better than that!

'15 plate A5 2.0 TDi 177 Quatro - 35mpg on a good day, trip computer sits around 33. Spends too much time in traffic going in and out of Edinburgh. My old '02 2.5 TDi Superb with intergalactic miles in the clock got better mileage until it died. just.