Can a "PCV" be tested

Ianski68

Reaction score
so as the thread says. is there any ways of testing to see if the PCV valve on my 2.0Tdi 140 BPW engine can be tested to see if its not doing what it should.

thanks

As suggested on that page, take it off and give it a shake! You should hear a slight rattle. Replaced mine in February, the one I took off didn't rattle at all and was stuck. New one rattled and still does after 2 months.

Found this.....

Technically, you have a "CCV" valve, not a "PCV" valve. It really isn't a "valve" at all, actually. That black plastic disc-shaped thing on top of the cylinder head is the CCV fitting. It's really just a plastic elbow fitting. You don't need to replace it unless it becomes plugged up, which will probably never happen.

PCV valves on gassers, on the other hand, should be replaced at regular intervals. You can keep them working longer by spraying carb cleaner in them and shaking them back and forth to clean them out and free the one-way valve inside. For that matter, you can also clean out the inside of your TDI's CCV valve if it ever plugs up. There's really no reason to ever replace it unless you break it.

This for your smoking issue bud :)
If it is im pinching a mates rocker cover for the weekend, to see if mine stops smoking and his starts

Hmmm interesting...... I was told that it has a diaphragm of sorts inside which can deteriorate and tear, causing the unit not to work correctly.

I guess what I am trying to find out is this device does something! So is there any way of telling if it's working or not?

If I go down the root of removing the rocker cover do need to replace the gasket. Also what is best to wash out the rocker cover and the built in unit.

Have a look at this and then read the comments.....

Swift Ryan1 year ago
well you forgot to test the second purpose of this valve: to block the air in reverse comming from airfilter. fell free to correct me if i`m wrong

Aman A1 year ago
it is a valve so you should test the air doesn't come back the other way by blowing in the other tube. otherwise there is no point having a valve if you are only going to test the air flow in one direction

Nicholas Altimari6 months ago (edited)
Auto Resource is correct and Aman A and Swift Ryan are wrong. This CCV part is not a "valve" like the spring loaded PCV's we are all familiar with. This CCV has mesh and no moving parts inside. Air blows equally from both ends. As long as the flow is unrestricted, it is good. I refurbished my MKIV TDI fuel injection pump using this fellows straight forward advice. He is a fantastic resource and his advice should be heeded.

Ok so yes in essence that's what mine has. But I can't remove the actual part and blow through it. It's one piece built into the cover.

So basically I can not text it to see if it is faulty. It's a case of change the cover and fingers crossed then. Poor design then ..☹️☹️

This for your smoking issue bud :)
If it is im pinching a mates rocker cover for the weekend, to see if mine stops smoking and his starts

Keep me posted as it looks like I may just have to take a chance and buy a new one. That is also a problem. I can't get one second hand as that could be faulty and I can't test it lol. Screwed well and truly

Will do budsy
Im hoping it stops mine smoking as its really getting on my tits but there is only one way find out i guess, im happy to.purchase the cover myself.as long as i know it is that causing the problem but at nearly 160 quid from audi dont fancy buying on on a huntch 2ithout being 100 percent sure

This is the diaphragm in mine bud dosent seem to be any holes in it just badly distorted

Attachments

• received_10155156812684592.jpeg
    received_10155156812684592.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 1,267
  • received_10155156812334592.jpeg
    received_10155156812334592.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 1,365
Will do budsy
Im hoping it stops mine smoking as its really getting on my tits but there is only one way find out i guess, im happy to.purchase the cover myself.as long as i know it is that causing the problem but at nearly 160 quid from audi dont fancy buying on on a huntch 2ithout being 100 percent sure
Agreed dude